From Gianugo Rabellino <>
Subject Re: Initial code drop
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2008 23:30:21 GMT

On Feb 25, 2008, at 12:11 AM, Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
> \
>> I'm a tad concerned about this statement. Notwithstanding which
>> copyright assignment were performed in the past, I just wanted to
>> double check that every copyright holder of CouchDB code agrees to
>> donate their software to the ASF via a copyright assignment. While
>> individuals will still retain their copyright, the one and only
>> way to work with Apache is with the foundation having code
>> copyright assigned.
> The ASF does not use copyright assignments. The ICLA is a copyright
> licence from the copyright holder to the ASF, not an assignment.
> The ASF claims copyright on the collected work.

Sorry, bad wording, thanks for pointing that out. Now, considering s/
assignment/license/g done, is everyone OK with that? My point is that
licensing code under the AL isn't quite enough, the ASF needs to be
able to deal with copyright as well.

Gianugo Rabellino
Sourcesense - making sense of Open Source:
Blogging at

View raw message