From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Initial code drop
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2008 23:30:21 GMT

On Feb 25, 2008, at 12:11 AM, Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
> \
>> I'm a tad concerned about this statement. Notwithstanding which
>> copyright assignment were performed in the past, I just wanted to
>> double check that every copyright holder of CouchDB code agrees to
>> donate their software to the ASF via a copyright assignment. While
>> individuals will still retain their copyright, the one and only
>> way to work with Apache is with the foundation having code
>> copyright assigned.
>
> The ASF does not use copyright assignments. The ICLA is a copyright
> licence from the copyright holder to the ASF, not an assignment.
>
> The ASF claims copyright on the collected work.

Sorry, bad wording, thanks for pointing that out. Now, considering s/
assignment/license/g done, is everyone OK with that? My point is that
licensing code under the AL isn't quite enough, the ASF needs to be
able to deal with copyright as well.

--
Gianugo Rabellino
Blogging at http://boldlyopen.com/