From Karl Wright <daddy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release?
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2010 03:02:44 GMT
OK, so I will do the appropriate things to make (1), (4), and maybe
(5) happen.  Does anyone want to help with (2), (3), and (8)?
Karl

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 9:59 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:

> On Dec 2, 2010, at 9:54 PM, Karl Wright wrote:
>
>> Hi Grant,
>>
>> In offline conversation you clarified that for (1) you are looking for
>> the top level dir in the zip/tar to be named "apache-manifoldcf-0.1".
>> You also seem to be asking for a number of other fixes that are
>> specific to a release, that I presume would NOT be in sources on trunk
>> (e.g. CHANGES.txt).  Are you envisioning that we make these specific
>> changes in the release branch only?
>
> It's perfectly fine for CHANGES.txt to be on trunk.  You make the change marking it
as 0.1.  Once the release is out, you add a new section at the top for trunk again.

> Later, as we mature, we will likely have branches, etc. for this stuff, but for now let's
just assume trunk is under code freeze and the only changes that can be made are those related
to release.

>> Karl
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 9:45 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
>>> We're close, but I think we've got a few more things to do.  I did get it to
compile.

>>> Notes:
>>>
>>> 1. We should package the stuff all under apache-manifold-0.1 so that when we
unzip it's all in one folder.
>>> 2. Many of the libs require an entry in the NOTICE.txt file
>>> 3.  All licenses for those libs need to be appended on to the end of the LICENSE.txt
file (See Solr's for instance)
>>> 4. The CHANGES.txt file should reflect that it is a release and not trunk (not
critical to fix)
>>> 5. Is there anyway to make the package smaller?  Maybe we don't need to ship
both PDF and HTML for the docs.  Anything else we can trim?
>>> 6. What's json/org/json all about?
>>> 7. I still see Memex stuff in connectors dir.  I didn't check other places.
>>> 8. We should hook in RAT (see Solr's build file) to verify that all source files
have appropriate license headers

place the files there, everyone can download them and check them out at http://people.apache.org/~kwright/

KEYS file.  Apache
I didn't have to make

for that too.

which the rest of us can download.  Put it up on people.apache.org/~YOURUSERNAME/... and
then send a note to the list saying where to locate it.  Rather than call a vote right away,
just ask us to check it out and try it as there will likely be issues for the first release.
 Once we all feel we have a decent candidate, we can call a vote, which should be a formality.

<daddywri@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
the modules level from the
and complicated matters.
build code, docs, and run
you help as a default.
and tar.gz files.  Online
complete javadoc, as
 In short,  we *could*
(and incorporated) the KEYS
know how to build or obtain.
and registered.  The site

<daddywri@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
the port of documentation to the
generated site in the release

build.xml, which I will try
naming thereof.  In short,
can download them??
seen this done as a vote in
necessary?
both?  What is the correct
LICENSE.txt, etc.  Do these need
or just the source tar.gz?  I
if there is a typical
relation to the source tar.gz
known.

the pages that I originally put in
and run ManifoldCF, and converted
ManifoldCF site.  These documents
Grant or I added, according to
to do.  I've left the wiki pages
them to go away at some point.  Not
the user comments to them, however.

 We should avoid using the wiki
seems to me, but otherwise I can see

Jack Krupansky wrote:

> [...]
the wiki needs to be physically included in the release zip/tar, just that snapshotting and
versioning of the wiki should be done, if feasible, so that a user who is on an older release
can still see the doc for that release. I am just thinking ahead for future releases. So,
0.1 does not need this right now.

can't include user generated content in a release unless we have explicitly asked for permission
on it in the form of patches and then committed by a committer.  Since we don't lock down
our wiki, we can't do it.