From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant builds
Date Tue, 09 Feb 2010 23:29:54 GMT
OK, I should be able to fill this out either tonight or tomorrow morning and get the clearance
going.

On Feb 9, 2010, at 4:51 PM, Karl Wright wrote:

> Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>> On Feb 9, 2010, at 9:21 AM, Karl Wright wrote:
>>> I'm looking at what is required for ant builds of LCF, and for this I sort of
want to understand "accepted practices" for Apache builds of this kind.

>>> (1) Structure
>>>
>>> LCF will build many distinct jars, which need to be kept distinct because not
all deployments can build or include all functionality.  So there will be, at minimum:

>>> - A set of jars representing the framework itself
>>> - A set of jars for each connector
>>>
>>> I say a "set" here, because some components (e.g. the framework and the documentum
connector) do in fact contain multiple sub-components.

>>> The question is - do we want a single ant build for the whole thing?  Or independent
ant builds for each major component?  Based on the way it's packaged in debian for MetaCarta,
independent components would be better.  Is that acceptable?

>>> (2) Dependencies
>>>
>>> LCF requires upstream dependencies, many from apache, others from third parties
such as postgresql.  The dependencies come in the following flavors:
>>> - Sun dependency (standard jsp tag library jars and tlds: jstl.jar, standard.jar,
sql.tld, c.tld, fmt.tld, x.tld, and servlet.jar)
>> Do you know which Sun licenses?  There might be Apache equivalents here.
>
> http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/jstl/
>
> We actually may not need all or even any of these; they were originally part of the environment
when much greater use of tags was contemplated.

> servlet.jar

That one is fine, other projects ship that.

-Grant