From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Not quite a war
Date Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:40:06 GMT

On Feb 23, 2010, at 10:50 AM, Karl Wright wrote:

> Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>> On Feb 12, 2010, at 4:44 AM, Karl Wright wrote:
>>> I have been working on a preliminary set of build.xml files for the various components
of lcf, as per Grant's suggestion, and have been following (roughly) the packaging setup of
the granted code.  There is, however, a detail we should discuss.

>>> The framework itself consists of an "agents" process, and two Tomcat web applications.
 One of these web applications is the authority service (authority.war).  The other web application
(crawler.war) is for the crawler UI, which is what I'd like to focus on for the purposes of
this discussion.

>>> Each connector provides one or more jars for the agents process, all of which
need to be available to the crawler UI web application.  Each connector ALSO provides specific
jsp elements that are meant to be part of the crawler UI.  In the MetaCarta world, we dealt
with this by building a special runt "war" for each connector, which isn't really a full war
but is meant to represent the delta needed to augment crawler.war.  So when you install an
individual connector, it effectively unpacks crawler.war, unpacks randomconnector.war on top
of it, and then packs crawler.war back up.

>> Seems fine to me, but could we also have ANT create all the various versions plus
an uber one?

> That's exactly what the ant script under modules does.
>
>>> The question is: Is this an acceptable way of packaging an individual connector
in Apache Land?  Or do we want to do something different?  I suppose we might want to call
these connector war's by some other extension?  Thoughts?  Ideas?
>> How big is the file if we just put all of them together?  Presumably, people have
multiple connectors, right, so that would mean adding several overlays, right?  I guess I'd
lean for simple to start and just create one big one.

> It's about 20MB, all told.

I'd say we don't even worry about it then.  That's tiny.  People can add custom packaging
later if they want.