From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Not quite a war
Date Tue, 23 Feb 2010 15:44:21 GMT

On Feb 12, 2010, at 4:44 AM, Karl Wright wrote:

> I have been working on a preliminary set of build.xml files for the various components
of lcf, as per Grant's suggestion, and have been following (roughly) the packaging setup of
the granted code.  There is, however, a detail we should discuss.

> The framework itself consists of an "agents" process, and two Tomcat web applications.
 One of these web applications is the authority service (authority.war).  The other web application
(crawler.war) is for the crawler UI, which is what I'd like to focus on for the purposes of
this discussion.

> Each connector provides one or more jars for the agents process, all of which need to
be available to the crawler UI web application.  Each connector ALSO provides specific jsp
elements that are meant to be part of the crawler UI.  In the MetaCarta world, we dealt with
this by building a special runt "war" for each connector, which isn't really a full war but
is meant to represent the delta needed to augment crawler.war.  So when you install an individual
connector, it effectively unpacks crawler.war, unpacks randomconnector.war on top of it, and
then packs crawler.war back up.

Seems fine to me, but could we also have ANT create all the various versions plus an uber
one?

> The question is: Is this an acceptable way of packaging an individual connector in Apache
Land?  Or do we want to do something different?  I suppose we might want to call these connector
war's by some other extension?  Thoughts?  Ideas?

How big is the file if we just put all of them together?  Presumably, people have multiple
connectors, right, so that would mean adding several overlays, right?  I guess I'd lean for
simple to start and just create one big one.