From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant builds
Date Tue, 09 Feb 2010 21:09:15 GMT

On Feb 9, 2010, at 9:21 AM, Karl Wright wrote:

> I'm looking at what is required for ant builds of LCF, and for this I sort of want to
understand "accepted practices" for Apache builds of this kind.

> (1) Structure
>
> LCF will build many distinct jars, which need to be kept distinct because not all deployments
can build or include all functionality.  So there will be, at minimum:

> - A set of jars representing the framework itself
> - A set of jars for each connector
>
> I say a "set" here, because some components (e.g. the framework and the documentum connector)
do in fact contain multiple sub-components.

> The question is - do we want a single ant build for the whole thing?  Or independent
ant builds for each major component?  Based on the way it's packaged in debian for MetaCarta,
independent components would be better.  Is that acceptable?

> (2) Dependencies
>
> LCF requires upstream dependencies, many from apache, others from third parties such
as postgresql.  The dependencies come in the following flavors:
> - Sun dependency (standard jsp tag library jars and tlds: jstl.jar, standard.jar, sql.tld,
c.tld, fmt.tld, x.tld, and servlet.jar)

Do you know which Sun licenses?  There might be Apache equivalents here.

> - Apache dependency, unexceptional (commons-fileupload, commons-collections, commons-codec,
commons-logging, log4j, axis, castor)
> - Apache dependency, requiring upstream modifications in order to build properly (commons-httpclient,
xerces2-java)
> - LGPL dependency, possibly requiring upstream modifications in order to run properly
(jcifs)

OK, we can do LGPL via a download or via Maven.

> - LGPL dependency, not requiring upstream modifications in order to run properly (postgres
jdbc driver)

Postgres JDBC driver is BSD, right? http://jdbc.postgresql.org/license.html

> - BSD jar dependency (Bitstream pool driver, jdbcpool-0.99.jar)
> - Third party proprietary jars (not enumerated here)
> - Dependencies which will be immediately removed (metacarta-license.jar)
>
> I take it we'll just presume, for the purposes of ant, that the correctly generated jars
are just dropped in the ant/lib area? What ant build strategy should we use for all of the
above categories?

We should have a lib dir under trunk that contains the files.  Similar to Lucene/Solr

> (3) Axis/castor build items
>
> Connectors that build from wsdls or xsds use axis or castor to generate the appropriate
java class code.  Is there a standard Apache ant task that we can use for these?