From Karl Wright <kwri...@metacarta.com>
Subject Re: Ant builds
Date Tue, 09 Feb 2010 21:51:13 GMT
Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> On Feb 9, 2010, at 9:21 AM, Karl Wright wrote:
>
>> I'm looking at what is required for ant builds of LCF, and for this I sort of want
to understand "accepted practices" for Apache builds of this kind.

>> (1) Structure
>>
>> LCF will build many distinct jars, which need to be kept distinct because not all
deployments can build or include all functionality.  So there will be, at minimum:

>> - A set of jars representing the framework itself
>> - A set of jars for each connector
>>
>> I say a "set" here, because some components (e.g. the framework and the documentum
connector) do in fact contain multiple sub-components.

>> The question is - do we want a single ant build for the whole thing?  Or independent
ant builds for each major component?  Based on the way it's packaged in debian for MetaCarta,
independent components would be better.  Is that acceptable?

>> (2) Dependencies
>>
>> LCF requires upstream dependencies, many from apache, others from third parties such
as postgresql.  The dependencies come in the following flavors:
>> - Sun dependency (standard jsp tag library jars and tlds: jstl.jar, standard.jar,
sql.tld, c.tld, fmt.tld, x.tld, and servlet.jar)

> Do you know which Sun licenses?  There might be Apache equivalents here.

http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/jstl/

We actually may not need all or even any of these; they were originally part of the environment
when much greater use of tags
was contemplated.

servlet.jar

is also not a required dependency, although there is one in the debian distribution which
is what we need to build jcifs with
(package libservlet-2.3-java).  Should we actually need to run with it, there's an equivalent
in tomcat.

>> - Apache dependency, unexceptional (commons-fileupload, commons-collections, commons-codec,
commons-logging, log4j, axis, castor)

I missed one of these: poi.

>> - Apache dependency, requiring upstream modifications in order to build properly
(commons-httpclient, xerces2-java)
>> - LGPL dependency, possibly requiring upstream modifications in order to run properly
(jcifs)

> OK, we can do LGPL via a download or via Maven.
>
>> - LGPL dependency, not requiring upstream modifications in order to run properly
(postgres jdbc driver)

> Postgres JDBC driver is BSD, right? http://jdbc.postgresql.org/license.html

Sorry.  Mistake on my part.

Karl