From Hari Kannan <hari.kan...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [Discuss] Cpu and Ram overcommit.
Date Sun, 06 Jan 2013 23:57:15 GMT
While elaborating this feature, the following issue came to mind:

Admin could set various overcommit ratios (could setup a different ratio for each cluster,
for example) - however, unless he sets up host tags, does he or the end user have any control
over where the VM actually gets placed? If, so where is the use for this feature? I see it
as follows:

- Each cluster (depending on the hypervisor platform, storage or h/w configuration) can handle
a different number of VMs per host/cluster - trying to normalize them can be inefficient,
as the ratio has to be setup for the lowest common denominator - hence, we are providing a
finer granularity for better utilization of resource, irrespective of what the placement algorithm
decides

- when combined with dedicated resources, it gets better - with dedicated resources, we will
have the capability to tell account A will use cluster X. If this account is paying for "gold"
quality of service, perhaps, those clusters would have a ratio of 1. If they are paying for
"bronze" QoS, their cluster ratio could be 2.

To make it better, I wonder if we could introduce the notion of cluster tags? With cluster
tags, you could setup various overcommit ratios for each of the cluster (if needed) and by
matching service offerings, we could provide various quality of service to end users/accounts
-

If a cluster has a tag, each host "inherits" the tag - i.e. it is equivalent to setting each
host with the same tag as cluster tag
Any individual host could also have a tag - in which case, the default (inherited) cluster
tag, if present, is overwritten with the more specific tag provided for the host

Does it make sense?

If it does, does it make sense to introduce tags to pods/zones? I feel probably not, but thought
I would ask any way

For clarification, my understanding of host tags as it stands currently is depicted at this
link https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Cluster+Tags

Please review and provide feedback

Hari