From Shanker Balan <m...@shankerbalan.net>
Subject Re: How can I specify the vCPU and ram manually?
Date Sat, 06 Oct 2012 10:59:36 GMT
On 05-Oct-2012, at 4:20 PM, Giles Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com> wrote:

> We've had this requirement a few times before.
> In short, it goes against CS's concept of service offerings
>
> Theres two approaches we've used:
>
> 1. create, in advance, service offerings  of every permutation of memory/cpu/disk  that
you want to sell. Or
> 2. Use the API to generate new service offerings on the fly, when people spin up instances
>
> Whichever approach you use, doing this in the CS gui will be a lot of work, easiest thing
is to create a provisioning site to do it via API, which is relatively  simple

> In terms of usage/billing, you then just bill out against a service offering (its just
you have lots of different ones)

> If you have a look at these guys:
> http://www.umbeehosting.co.uk/cloud-hosting/public-cloud-instances/
>
> they are using approach (1) above

Hi Giles and Tamas,

That was my understanding also, that billing is always against service offerings.

@Giles, I really like the umbeehosting slider system for choosing an offering. Very simple
and intuitive.

Thanks.
@shankerbalan