From Alena Prokharchyk <Alena.Prokharc...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: Unable to deploy VM with "unable to allocate vnet as a part of network" log message
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 19:26:16 GMT
On 5/14/12 12:03 PM, "Jose Rozanec" <jrozanec@tendrilinc.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>We were able to setup cloudstack, but when attempting to create VMs, we
>get
>an alert with the following message: "Unable to create a deployment for
>VM"
>
>Looking at the logs (http://pastebin.com/mbQ6zCJT), we see the "unable to
>allocate vnet as a part of network" log message.
>From
>here<http://git.cloud.com/cgit/cloudstack-oss/commit/?id=d2adbcfc0aeb14f2e
>fd82713519b500871e58b23>we
>see that the exception is thrown if a null is returned when attempting
>to allocate a vnet. Looking at cloudstack sources we saw it invokes
>getVlan() method on a DataCenterVnetVO instance at DataCenterDaoImpl,
>which
>should return a value from the op_dc_vnet_alloc table. Our table is empty
>(mysql> select * from op_dc_vnet_alloc;Empty set (0.00 sec))
>
>Our setup is an advanced configuration. The only network offering we can
>take is "Offering for Isolated networks with Source Nat service enabled".
>We created an "isolated" guest network without a VLAN id.
>
>Any ideas/workarounds?

The exception indicates that all guest vnets in physical network are
allocated for the guest networks in the system.
There are no workarounds rather than extending the vnet range for the
physicalNetwork (updatePhysicalNetwork&vlan=<new vlan> api call).

>When does cloudstack put some data into
>op_dc_vnet_alloc?

cloudStack initially populates op_dc_vnet_alloc with all vnets from the
range specified in createPhysicalNetwork command
Vnet entry is marked as Taken by the guest network once the network gets
implemented - happens on first user vm start in the network. Network GC
thread shuts down the network when there are no running vms in the network
for network.gc.wait time (the thread runs every network.gc.interval,
globally configurable); and vnet is released once the network is shut down.

-Alena.