From Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: use an existing network
Date Fri, 11 May 2012 19:37:24 GMT
Hi Sebastien

If you want to create a Guest Instance with a specific IP then you have to use the API to
create it, and not the GUI.

Hopefully the ability to assign via the GUI will come along soon as it is a much request feature

Regards

Geoff

-----Original Message-----
From: sebastien goasguen [mailto:runseb@gmail.com]
Sent: 11 May 2012 20:00
To: cloudstack-users@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: use an existing network

Thanks Geoff,

I read your blog entries, including:

http://www.shapeblue.com/2012/05/01/cloudstack-networking-considerations/

They are quite nice. I will try to setup a basic networking zone, without security groups.
I should be able to do this without using the API, right ?

It would be nice to be able to enter a fixed IP network for guests within the gui. Instead
of dealing with ranged network. In opennebula you can specify a list of IP/MAC pairs that
can be leased for the VMs.

Best,

-sebastien

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com>
wrote:
> Hi Sebastien
>
> What you describe can be achieved, but CloudStack will always allocate an IP to a VM.
>
> It is possible to create a new Network Offering without DHCP, but you still need CloudStack
to allocate an IP to the Guest instance so it can manage it.

> There is a blog article on www.shapeblue.com cover this on an advanced network but the
concepts are the same.

> I would recommend setting an exclusion range on your DHCP server then setting this as
the guest range in CloudStack.

> You also need to create a Zone using Basic Networking but without security groups, so
you will need to cancel the wizard and create it manually from the infrastructure tab and
ensure you choose no security groups, this will place all your guest instances directly onto
your network.

> Regards
>
> Geoff
> CTO
> ShapeBlue Ltd
>

> On 11 May 2012, at 15:03, "sebastien goasguen" <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I want to deploy a very basic CS infrastructure.
> I have a single physical network (basic lan). I do not have access to
> the switch and can't configure vlans.
> I have a DHCP server not managed by CS, the firewall is also
> independent from CS.
>
> I want all traffic (management, guest, storage, system etc..) to go
> through the same network, no isolation at all.
> The VMs will get an IP from the DHCP server and be bridged normally on
> a single bridge (no vlan taggin).
> The VMs IP will be in the same range than the hypervisors.
>
> I am having trouble setting this up via the management UI, because the
> various networks expect a different range, or a different network.
>
> Is this doable ?
>
> Ps: If this list is for announcements rather than questions let me
> know, I will post in the forums.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> ---
> Sebastien Goasguen
>
> ShapeBlue provides a range of strategic and technical consulting services to help IT
Service Providers and enterprises to build a true IaaS compute cloud. ShapeBlue’s expertise,
combined with CloudStack technology, allows IT Service providers and enterprises to deliver
true, utility based, IaaS to the customer without reengineering existing physical, virtual
or storage layers.

those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd. If you are not
the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents,

---
Sebastien Goasguen, Associate Professor
Clemson University, USA
864-553-4734