From John Kinsella <...@stratosec.co>
Subject Re: website idea
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2013 17:05:19 GMT
First thought: "noooooooooooooooo!" ;)

Second thought: As ACS is a fairly major project and not a CI engine (sorry, but…), our
website has three purposes:
a) Get operational folks to want to try ACS
b) Get developers interested in contributing to ACS
c) Educate others about why ACS is so #@$@#$ awesome and they (or their teams, or their companies)
should be using it.
(feel free to expand/contrast on this)

So, with that said - From my experience, the stereotypical Twitter Bootstrap sites do not
say that to me. They say "this is a site that was quickly set up by a developer so he could
get back to something else." There's not a single graphic element on inria's site - except
for 2 buttons. Not pretty by any means, IMHO. I'm reminded of Ruby projects or Github projects
who think 15 lines in their README.md is AWESOME for their project's website.

Take a look at the other cloud provisioning project's site. Both looks better and does a better
job of communicating what it is.

Here's a few sites I've seen recently that I consider "pretty" and "modern" sites:

https://jawbone.com/up - admittedly complicated
https://www.meldium.com/ - probably bootstrap based, but at least looks good IMHO
http://www.qualtrics.com/
http://couchdb.apache.org/ - Just pulled it up while looking through the ASF project list
- not bad!

One thing that we should probably do - look at the websites of other players in the space
- OnApp, Eucalyptus, VMWare, etc. Our site has to play at that level, not a website built
for an engineer looking for a CI platform (sorry, but…)

I realize we need a site that's easy to manage and update, but let's see if we can balance
that with something that people remember.

John

On Mar 5, 2013, at 5:11 AM, Sebastien Goasguen <runseb@gmail.com>
 wrote:

> Hi, thinking about website designs, I ran into this one:
>
> https://ci.inria.fr
>
> It's simple, yet modern.
>
> I think something along this line with CloudStack logos and some good thinking of categories
would work well.

> -sebastien

o: 415.315.9385
@johnlkinsella