From Mathias Mullins <mathias.mull...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: press release draft
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2013 22:20:10 GMT
Been watching the thread and wanted to give some outsider points as it got
closer. Might be more copy editing.

Matt

On 3/20/13 6:29 AM, "Giles Sirett" <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com> wrote:

>Press release draft 2
>
>I've tried to incorporate  everybody's comments. I'm going offline now
>for 12 hours. As per Chips last post, if we're aiming for Monday, then
>I'll pick up all comments tomorrow and look at them all together. This
>will help me get the inevitable draft 3 together
>
>Writing a press release for a meritoric bunch of software developers who
>all seemed to  major in English - what could go wrong ?
>
>========================PRESS RELEASE===========
>
>The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache CloudStack Has Become A
>Top-Level Project
>Mature, open source turn-key platform for delivering scalable,
>full-featured Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) clouds.
"Has Become A Top-Level Project Mature," Seems odd wording to average
reader. Also as a headline A shouldn't be capitalized. These seem like
better reading, but maybe I'm missing a reason behind this.

"Has Become a Top-Level Mature Project" or
"Has Become Top-Level Project Mature"

> [release location/date]
>The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer developers,
>stewards, and incubators of nearly 150 open source projects and
>initiatives, announced today that Apache CloudStack has graduated from
>the Apache Incubator to become a Top-Level Project (TLP), signifying that
>the project's community and products have been well-governed under the
>ASF's meritocratic process and principles.

Start of Chip's Quote should be a new Paragraph I believe.
>"When CloudStack first became an Apache Incubator project, it was  a
>well-established cloud management platform, so its codebase was already
>mature," said Chip Childers, Vice President of Apache CloudStack. "Our
>work in the Incubator has focused on the governance of the project and
>building a really strong community around Apache CloudStack."
>
>Formerly the product of Cloud.com, which was acquired by Citrix in 2011,
>CloudStack was submitted to the Apache Incubator in April 2012.

While it was "submitted" I think there is a need to mention the donation
here. I know we're not promoting Citrix here, but a Corporate entity
doesn't buy something and it just magically appears in open-source later
on, especially in ASF. There's a link missing in the chain.

"Formerly the product of Cloud.com, which was acquired by Citrix in 2011,
CloudStack was donated by Citrix to ASF and submitted to the Apache
Incubator in April 2012."

> It is a well-established cloud management platform, already widely in
>production use by many organisations.

Interesting question here. Are we going with British English or American
English on this? No offense of course Giles, but my Spell checker is going
off on "organisations" vs. "organizations" and such. If this is coming out
of the US, we may have to copy edit this for US at some point.

>It is used to deliver Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) cloud computing
>in both private-cloud, public and hybrid cloud environments. It has been
>proven to be both stable and highly scalable, underpinning production
>clouds more than 30,000 physical nodes, in geo-distributed environments.
>
>Asked to comment on the importance of becoming a Top-Level Project, Chip
>commented "CloudStack  had the advantage of having many long-term, large
>deployments which had proven the stability and scalability of the
>technology. This helped us concentrate on adopting the 'Apache way' of
>governance, which is well understood and open, delivering so many great
>pieces of software over the years"
No End Quote if the Quote is continuing on into the next paragraph.

>"We know that Infrastructure-as-a-Service is the next generation of IT
>infrastructure and that people will demand open standards and open
>governance for such an important layer in their IT stack. That is why the
>CloudStack project meeting the rigorous standards of ASF governance is so
>significant. "
>When asked to comment on the Apache CloudStack community itself, Chip
>said: "we've managed to build a diverse, friendly and very open community
>around CloudStack. New members receive a really warm welcome and we make
>sure that all contributors  are on an equal footing, whether they are
>writing code or helping with any other aspect of the project. As well as
>online involvement,  we've already had a global collaboration conference
>and there are many CloudStack groups established in many different
>countries. "

You can use IaaS here because you already referenced it in the above
section. Would be I believe, ""We know that (IaaS) is the next generationĊ "

>About Apache CloudStack
>Apache CloudStack is a complete software suite for creating
>Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)

"Infrastructure-as-a-Service" instead of "Infrastructure as a Service" -
Has to remain consistent or just use IaaS.