From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: website idea
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2013 17:40:39 GMT

On Mar 5, 2013, at 12:05 PM, John Kinsella <jlk@stratosec.co> wrote:

> First thought: "noooooooooooooooo!" ;)
>
> Second thought: As ACS is a fairly major project and not a CI engine (sorry, but…),
our website has three purposes:
> a) Get operational folks to want to try ACS
> b) Get developers interested in contributing to ACS
> c) Educate others about why ACS is so #@$@#$ awesome and they (or their teams, or their
companies) should be using it.
> (feel free to expand/contrast on this)
>
> So, with that said - From my experience, the stereotypical Twitter Bootstrap sites do
not say that to me. They say "this is a site that was quickly set up by a developer so he
could get back to something else." There's not a single graphic element on inria's site -
except for 2 buttons. Not pretty by any means, IMHO. I'm reminded of Ruby projects or Github
projects who think 15 lines in their README.md is AWESOME for their project's website.

> Take a look at the other cloud provisioning project's site. Both looks better and does
a better job of communicating what it is.

> Here's a few sites I've seen recently that I consider "pretty" and "modern" sites:
>
> https://jawbone.com/up - admittedly complicated
> https://www.meldium.com/ - probably bootstrap based, but at least looks good IMHO

that one looks good.

> http://www.qualtrics.com/
> http://couchdb.apache.org/ - Just pulled it up while looking through the ASF project
list - not bad!

we mentioned couchdb website before, as well as cordova. probably a bit too dev centric

> One thing that we should probably do - look at the websites of other players in the space
- OnApp, Eucalyptus, VMWare, etc. Our site has to play at that level, not a website built
for an engineer looking for a CI platform (sorry, but…)

> I realize we need a site that's easy to manage and update, but let's see if we can balance
that with something that people remember.

and we also need someone to actually come up with the design and set it up on apache infra.