From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: Talking Points for Graduation
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2013 17:08:59 GMT
On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Joe Brockmeier <jzb@zonker.net> wrote:
> In addition to a press release at the ready, we also ought to have a set
> of "talking points," ready. If anyone does a blog or talks to press, we
> ought to have a coherent message to talk about the project and the
> software.
>
> Note that this is strictly for the graduation to TLP and not so much
> about 4.1.0 even though that's on the front burner too. Suggested
> talking points and such below. Revisions, etc. welcome!
>
> What we need to be able to articulate:
>
> - Why this matters:
>
> Graduation is about the community's readiness to operate as an open
> source project, it's not about the state of the code - which was already
> mature when CloudStack entered the incubator. What it means is that the
> project is self-governing and has sufficient participation from a
> diverse community that it has demonstrated to the Apache board that it's
> ready to act as a TLP.

If you are not terribly familiar with the ASF I fear the above is gobbledygook.
What does 'ready to act as a TLP' mean?

e.g.:
it is a worthy and healthy project;
it truly fits within the ASF framework;and
it "gets" the Apache Way.

Which then delves into how the Apache Way is different than other open
source development methodologies, etc.

> From here, Apache CloudStack can operate more autonomously and that will
> make it easier for the project to do things like releases and promote
> itself.
>
> - What it doesn't mean:
>
> It's deeply important to emphasize that this has nothing to do with code
> maturity. One of the common misconceptions about incubating projects -
> and CloudStack - is that it is a "new" project and/or that the code is
> immature. We need to emphasize that CloudStack is mature software and
> has been since it entered the incubator. Graduation is about community
> readiness, not code readiness.
>
> - What Apache CloudStack is:
>
> Apache CloudStack is open source Infrastructure-as-a-Service software,
> and the community that produces the software.
>
> CloudStack is a turnkey product that supplies integrated components for
> many of the functions that organizations expect from an IaaS platform:
> the UI, API, accounting, networking, management, etc. - and works with a
> wide range of hypervisors, storage, and networking appliances.
>
> - Why Should an Organization Try CloudStack?
>
> Maturity, stability, scalability, and community.

This strikes me as a non-answer - and perhaps a bad question. Why
should my organization try CloudStack? Do I even need CloudStack -
these are far more basic questions.

> * Maturity: Apache CloudStack is in use in many production deployments
> for private, public, and hybrid cloud

I don't like the claim of hybrid here personally.

> * Stability: It's been proven as a stable platform with a number of
> long-term deployments that have seen little or no downtime.
>
> * Scalability: CloudStack has been used in environments with more than
> 30,000 physical nodes and is also used in geo-distributed environments
> with data centers all over the globe.
>
> * Community: As part of the Apache Software Foundation, CloudStack's
> community is diverse, friendly, and one that puts all contributors on
> equal footing. The Apache governance model is well-understood and open.

Is that a true statement?
Is the model well understood?