From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: CloudStack Laynard Sponsorship at ChefConf#13
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2013 18:17:17 GMT
On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Chip Childers
<chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 08:05:50PM -0500, Mark Hinkle wrote:
>> Reposting due to formatting problems with last reply..sorry for the inconvenience.
 Update is bottom-posted.

>> > Ack - thanks.

>> > Just to be specific, I think you covered the first concern (which is
>> > affiliation and a committer being present), but how about the physical
>> > lanyard?  We'd need to see what that will be, or what logo you would
>> > use.
>> >
>> > I'm currently reserving judgement on "approval" until we see that
>> > design (which I'm sure will be fine!, we're just trying to be complete
>> > about things).
>> >
>> > Also, please note that we are going to start adding a (R) to the CS
>> > logos going forward, so we'll probably want to ensure that any imagery
>> > that you use has that included.

>> > Please keep cloudstack-marketing@i.a.o CC'ed during those approvals, so
>> > that we are aware of the status.

>> > Great - glad that process got clarified.  Thanks.

>> The design is simply the logo from the Apache CloudStack website. if they can do
multi-color they would match the colors and if unicolor it would be white.

>> http://incubator.apache.org/cloudstack/images/logo-sm.png
>
> OK - thanks.  Unless anyone objects in the next 72 hours, I'd say that it's
> approved from a PPMC standpoint.
>

>> However CloudStack is a word mark. The CloudStack logo is not a registered trademark,
so if you want to add the R you can because of the word mark but you would need to trademark
the actual logo to include a circle R. IANAL I just play one on the Internet.

> David - Have any thoughts on this?  I know you spoke with trademarks@
> about it a bit.
>
>> Mark

The wordmark is the only thing that is a registered trademark.
We are claiming trademark on the logos - but you can't use ® on
non-registered marks. Typically unless you have a large investment in
a logo you don't register them because even minor treatment changes
mean it's no longer the 'registered' mark or you need to register a
new one. Down to colors, shadow, fonts, scale, etc.

That said, the logos are trademarks (albeit not registered) This isn't
uncommon - starbucks is one of my favorite examples of this:
http://www.starbucks.com/static/images/global/logo.png

The ASF's branding guidelines require that we have a ™ in our logos
[1], as do our project-specific guidelines. We are currently remiss
here as virtually none of our graphics meet this standard. (I've
updated the SVG that we use in the documents, but that's it.) Most
open source projects that take trademarks seriously have this rule as
well. (e.g. any project that has a logo/trademark usage guidelines
document.)

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs.html#graphics

--David