From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: website idea
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2013 21:10:06 GMT
On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Mathias Mullins
<mathias.mullins@citrix.com> wrote:
> David,
>
> Then why do we have a "Integration Partners" section of the wiki? We ask
> people to integrate but we don't want to mention that they integrate with
> it? Seems kinda backwards doesn't it? I know a lot of good companies that
> support the Open Source version and are very proud of that fact. Maybe
> it's just a ASF rule.
>
> Matt

No idea how that page come into being.
The content is really on how to integrate with CloudStack.
There simply isn't a mechanism for a corporation to partner. People
who come here work here as individuals, corporations have no standing.
ASF policy also specifically disclaims listing 'partnerships' between
external entities and an ASF project.

Keep in mind that the ASF is vendor-neutral (how can you be neutral if
you 'partner' with projects) and indeed has different goals than
businesses (the ASF is a non-profit). I suspect that much of that is
done to protect the non-profit status of the ASF.

This isn't to say that we don't value companies deciding to integrate
or dedicate resources to working on CloudStack. From a project
perspective we are a failure if people don't see the value and don't
choose to participate. Nor does it mean that we can't feature the
technical integration (e.g. posts extolling the awesomeness of the new
Ramifordistat integration in CloudStack). But we can't feature any
'partnership' between the Ramifordistat Company and Apache CloudStack
or the Apache Software Foundation.

--David