From Mark Hinkle <Mark.Hin...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: CloudStack Laynard Sponsorship at ChefConf#13
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2013 01:05:50 GMT
Reposting due to formatting problems with last reply..sorry for the inconvenience.  Update
is bottom-posted.

On Feb 27, 2013, at 10:17 AM, Chip Childers <chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 06:25:20PM -0500, Mark Hinkle wrote:

>>> I also realized that you mentioned the lanyard itself!  That triggers
>>> another relevant section:
>>>
>>> Non-software goods
>>>
>>>   * Without explicit written permission, goods bearing any of the
>>>   CloudStack marks may not be sold.
>>>
>>>   * Designs for non-software goods require both PMC approval and
>>>   approval from trademarks@.
>>>
>>> Since this is a give-a-way, obviously it's not a for-sale item.
>>> However, we're asking to approve the design (and trademarks@ would need
>>> to be involved as well).
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> -chip
>>

>> So this is a donation with no affiliation. All the donations I make are
>> all for the sole purpose of promoting Apache CloudStack no other
>> organization or strings attached. At each event I donate we'll have at
>> least one committer (usually David Nalley or Joe Brockmeir). I also have
>> reached out to some (non-Citrix) committers and offered to cover travel to
>> make sure we are in compliance.
>>

> Ack - thanks.
>

>> On the trademarks I just attended Shane's trademark talk at ApacheCon and
>> the procedure as Shane C. explained it to me is:
>>
>> - Discussion here
>> - Approval by PPMC (David tells me it has to be explicit not lazy
>> consensus)
>
> Just to be specific, I think you covered the first concern (which is
> affiliation and a committer being present), but how about the physical
> lanyard?  We'd need to see what that will be, or what logo you would
> use.
>
> I'm currently reserving judgement on "approval" until we see that
> design (which I'm sure will be fine!, we're just trying to be complete
> about things).
>
> Also, please note that we are going to start adding a (R) to the CS
> logos going forward, so we'll probably want to ensure that any imagery
> that you use has that included.
>
>> - Proposal to ConCom and then they'll kick it to Trademarks.
>>
>> I was planning on getting permission all the way though and cc'ing
>> trademarks just for good measure.
>>

> Please keep cloudstack-marketing@i.a.o CC'ed during those approvals, so
> that we are aware of the status.
>
>> Also I had sent around a request for permission for the same kind of
>> sponsorship for Devops Days in Austin
>>
>> http://devopsdays.org/events/2013-austin/
>>

>> And you guys gave permission there but I need to run that by ConCom too.
>> Technically you are right, though it has to go to trademarks but from what
>> Shane and Nick indicated Concom will route as appropriate until after
>> CloudStack graduates then we need to go right to trademarks once we are
>> done incubating.
>
> Great - glad that process got clarified.  Thanks.
>

>> Regards, Mark

The design is simply the logo from the Apache CloudStack website. if they can do multi-color
they would match the colors and if unicolor it would be white.

http://incubator.apache.org/cloudstack/images/logo-sm.png

However CloudStack is a word mark. The CloudStack logo is not a registered trademark, so if
you want to add the R you can because of the word mark but you would need to trademark the
actual logo to include a circle R. IANAL I just play one on the Internet.

Mark