From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: press release draft
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2013 22:50:46 GMT

On Mar 19, 2013, at 3:29 PM, Giles Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com> wrote:

> Press release draft 2
>
> I've tried to incorporate  everybody's comments. I'm going offline now for 12 hours.
As per Chips last post, if we're aiming for Monday, then I'll pick up all comments tomorrow
and look at them all together. This will help me get the inevitable draft 3 together

> Writing a press release for a meritoric bunch of software developers who all seemed to
 major in English - what could go wrong ?

I majored in electronics in France, so let me have a crack at it :) (don't you wish you would
have doc track changes ;) )

> ========================PRESS RELEASE===========
>
> The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache CloudStack Has Become A Top-Level  Project
> Mature, open source turn-key platform for delivering scalable, full-featured Infrastructure-as-a-Service
(IaaS) clouds.

The Apache Software Foundation Announces that Apache CloudStack Has Become a Top-Level-Project
(TLP). CloudStack is a mature, open-source, turn-key platform for delivering reliable, scalable,
full-featured….

> [release location/date]
> The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer developers, stewards, and incubators
of nearly 150 open source projects and initiatives, announced today that Apache CloudStack
has graduated from the Apache Incubator to become a Top-Level Project (TLP), signifying that
the project's community and products have been well-governed under the ASF's meritocratic
process and principles.

The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the open source foundation for nearly 150 open source
projects, announced today that….(TLP), signifying that CloudStack has grown into a self-sustaining
and self-governed community of volunteers that embrace the Apache Way.

> "When CloudStack first became an Apache Incubator project, it was  a well-established
cloud management platform, so its codebase was already mature," said Chip Childers, Vice President
of Apache CloudStack. "Our work in the Incubator has focused on the governance of the project
and building a really strong community around Apache CloudStack."

> Formerly the product of Cloud.com, which was acquired by Citrix in 2011, CloudStack was
submitted to the Apache Incubator in April 2012. It is a well-established  cloud management
platform, already widely in production use by many organisations. It is used to deliver Infrastructure-as-a-Service
(IaaS) cloud computing in both private-cloud, public and hybrid cloud environments. It has
been proven to be both stable and highly scalable, underpinning production clouds more than
30,000 physical nodes, in geo-distributed environments.

Created by cloud.com…CloudStack entered the Apache incubator in April 2012.

It is a well-established cloud mgt platform, already widely used in production by many organizations.
It delivers ….
It has proven to be highly reliable and scalable while agnostic to hypervisor, networking
and storage technologies. CloudStack underpins production clouds of more than 30,000 nodes
across geographically distributed data-centers (quote/reference ?)

> Asked to comment on the importance of becoming a Top-Level Project, Chip
Childers
> commented "CloudStack  had the advantage of having many long-term, large deployments
which had proven the stability and scalability of the technology. This helped us concentrate
on adopting the 'Apache way' of governance, which is well understood and open, delivering
so many great pieces of software over the years"
> "We know that Infrastructure -as-a-Service is the next generation of IT infrastructure
and that people will demand open standards and open governance for such an important layer
in their IT stack. That is why the CloudStack project meeting the rigorous standards of ASF
governance is so significant. "
> When asked to comment on the Apache CloudStack community itself, Chip said: "we've managed
to build a diverse, friendly and very open community around

collegial instead of friendly ?

> CloudStack. New members receive a really warm welcome and we make sure that all contributors
 are on an equal footing, whether they are writing code or

Feels a little Kumbaya'ish :) maybe:

"We've built a diverse, collegial, open and highly skilled community around CloudStack. Both
developers and operators are actively engaged in the project. All type of contributions are
appreciated and considered on an equal footing. We have growing number of user groups around
the world and we are planning our second collaboration conference"

> helping with any other aspect of the project. As well as online involvement,  we've already
had a global collaboration conference and there are many CloudStack groups established in
many different countries. "

> About Apache CloudStack
> Apache CloudStack is a complete software suite for creating Infrastructure as a Service
(IaaS) clouds. Target environments include service providers and
ACS is an open source software for creating…Traditional deployments include public clouds
offered by service providers and private clouds within enterprises.
> enterprises. It is used widely  by service providers to set up an on-demand, elastic
cloud computing services and by enterprises to set up a private cloud for use

an on-demand, elastic cloud computing service (no s)

> by their own employees. Apache CloudStack is also available to individuals and organizations
that wish to study and implement an IaaS for personal,
a IaaS

> educational, and/or production use.
> Further information on Apache CloudStack can be found at [website URL]
> About Apache Software Foundation
> The Apache Software Foundation, a US 501(3)(c) non-profit corporation, provides organizational,
legal, and financial support for a broad range of over 140 open source software projects.
The Foundation provides an established framework for intellectual property and financial contributions
that simultaneously limits potential legal exposure for our project committers. Through a
collaborative and meritocratic development process known as The Apache Way, Apache(tm) projects
deliver enterprise-grade, freely available software products that attract large communities
of users. The pragmatic Apache License makes it easy for all users, commercial and individual,
to deploy Apache products.

> For further info, contact [contact info]

> Kind Regards
> Giles
>
> D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055
> Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com

in the next 30 minutes to I can work into the draft.

> Go for it Giles!

is a registered trademark.