From Giles Sirett <giles.sir...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: press release draft
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2013 20:01:19 GMT
Draft number 3
Revisions from version 2 are:

Chip: ..... reorder building a community and governance
Chip: I've added in some further stuff about new members & warm welcomes. Any more and
we'll be promising to hug new contributors
Matt: around Citrix donation

Things I didn't revise (and why)

Chip -havent added location & date, will let Sally handle/control
Matt -language is still UK. I'm not the best person to "translate".  Can somebody in US run
it through your spellchecker and correct where necessary ? - or maybe Sally is happy to do
this (if this is only a draft)
Matt: your first comment arose because a CRLF hadn't copied over
.

==========PRESS RELEASE=================

The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache CloudStack Has Become A Top-Level  Project

Mature, open source turn-key platform for delivering scalable, full-featured Infrastructure-as-a-Service
(IaaS) clouds.

 [release location/date]
The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer developers, stewards, and incubators
of nearly 150 open source projects and initiatives, announced today that Apache CloudStack
has graduated from the Apache Incubator to become a Top-Level Project (TLP), signifying that
the project's community and products have been well-governed under the ASF's meritocratic
process and principles.

"When CloudStack first became an Apache Incubator project, it was  a well-established cloud
management platform, so its codebase was already mature," said Chip Childers, Vice President
of Apache CloudStack. "Our work in the Incubator has focused on growing a really strong community
around the code and establishing the governance practices expected of a top level project
within the Apache Software Foundation."

Formerly the product of Cloud.com, which was acquired by Citrix in 2011, CloudStack was donated
by Citrix to ASF and submitted to the Apache Incubator in April 2012.  It is a well-established
 cloud management platform, already widely in production use by many organisations. It is
used to deliver Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) cloud computing in both private-cloud,
public and hybrid cloud environments. It has been proven to be both stable and highly scalable,
underpinning production clouds more than 30,000 physical nodes, in geo-distributed environments.

Asked to comment on the importance of becoming a Top-Level Project, Chip commented "CloudStack
 had the advantage of having many long-term, large deployments which had proven the stability
and scalability of the technology. This helped us concentrate on adopting the 'Apache way'
of governance, which is well understood and open, delivering so many great pieces of software
over the years"

"We know that Infrastructure -as-a-Service is the next generation of IT infrastructure and
that people will demand open standards and open governance for such an important layer in
their IT stack. That is why the CloudStack project meeting the rigorous standards of ASF governance
is so significant. "

When asked to comment on the Apache CloudStack community itself, Chip said: "we've managed
to build a diverse, friendly and very open community around CloudStack. New members receive
a really warm welcome and we make sure that all contributors  are on an equal footing, whether
they are writing code or helping with any other aspect of the project. Anybody thinking of
getting involved in the project would quickly find what a great community we are. As well
as online involvement,  we've already had a global collaboration conference and there are
many CloudStack groups established in many different countries. "

About Apache CloudStack
Apache CloudStack is a complete software suite for creating Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS)
clouds. Target environments include service providers and enterprises. It is used widely
by service providers to set up an on-demand, elastic cloud computing services and by enterprises
to set up a private cloud for use by their own employees. Apache CloudStack is also available
to individuals and organizations that wish to study and implement an IaaS for personal, educational,
and/or production use.

Further information on Apache CloudStack can be found at [website URL]

About Apache Software Foundation
The Apache Software Foundation, a US 501(3)(c) non-profit corporation, provides organizational,
legal, and financial support for a broad range of over 140 open source software projects.
The Foundation provides an established framework for intellectual property and financial contributions
that simultaneously limits potential legal exposure for our project committers. Through a
collaborative and meritocratic development process known as The Apache Way, Apache(tm) projects
deliver enterprise-grade, freely available software products that attract large communities
of users. The pragmatic Apache License makes it easy for all users, commercial and individual,
to deploy Apache products.

For further info, contact [contact info]

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055
Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com