From Giles Sirett <giles.sir...@shapeblue.com>
Subject press release draft
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2013 13:10:30 GMT
Please shoot from the hip with feedback.

Some Reading Notes first

1.       I've deliberately  mentioned Tomcat & Hadoop at beginning. Understand that some
folks may feel that I shouldn't select any  particular projects as examples, but I think it
draws attention for readers who don't really know about ASF

2.       I have emphasised governance, community & the fact that it was already mature
code. That means, that actual software development has been de-emphasised.  I absolutely
 know that there has been some great code written in the last 12 months, but I think it key
to get over the message that it was already established.

3.       Chips comments are not Chips comments (yet) - they're written by me and Chip hasn't
even seen them yet "Chip also said, I'll buy the beers"

4.       Ignore formatting for the moment

5.       The last 2 sections are direct copy/paste from wiki

6.       Logistical questions:

a.       Who releases this ?

b.      Who is the point of contact at bottom?

========PRESS RELEASE STARTS=========================

The Apache Software Foundation announces that CloudStack has become a top-tier project
CloudStack, the well-established, production ready,  Cloud Management Platform today became
an Apache Foundation (ASF)  Top-Level project, signifying the projects ability to self-govern
and become part of the wider ASF community.

[release location/date]
The Apache Software Foundation, the organisation  that governs Tomcat, Hadoop, and nealy 150
other open-source projects, today announced that Apache CloudStack  has graduated from the
Apache Incubator to become a Top-Level Project (TLP), signifying that the Project's community
and products have been well-governed under the ASF's meritocratic process and principles.

CloudStack is a well established cloud management platform, already widely in production use
by many organisations. It is used to deliver Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) cloud computing
in both private, public and hybrid-cloud environments. It has been proven to be both stable
and highly scalable, underpinning production clouds over 30,000 physical nodes, in geo-distributed
environments.

Asked to comment on the importance of becoming a Top-Level Project, Chip Childers, a member
of the projects' Management Committee said:
"When CloudStack first became an Apache Incubator project, it was  a well-established cloud
management platform, so its codebase was already mature.  It also had the advantage of having
many long-term, large deployments which had proven the stability and scalability of the technology.
Due to this, our work through Apache incubation  has focussed initially on both the governance
of the project and also building a really strong, open  community around it. The project is
now available  under the Apache license and we're proud that its being governed the 'Apache
way', which is well understood and open, delivering so many great pieces of software over
the years"

Apache CloudStack allows service providers to set up an on-demand, elastic cloud computing
service and enterprises to set-up a private cloud for use by their own employees. Chip continued
"We feel that Infrastructure -as-a-Service is the next generation of IT infrastructure and
that people will demand open standards and open governance for such an important layer in
their IT stack. That is why the CloudStack project meeting the rigorous standards of ASF governance
is so significant. "

When asked to comment on the CloudStack community itself, Chip said: "we've managed to build
a diverse, friendly and very open community around CloudStack. New members receive a really
warm welcome and we make sure that all contributors  are on an equal footing, whether they
are writing code or helping with any other aspect of the project. As well as online involvement,
 we've already had a global collaboration conference and there are many CloudStack groups
established in many different countries. "

About Apache CloudStack
Apache CloudStack is a complete software suite for creating Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
clouds. Target environments include service providers and enterprises.
*The Apache CloudStack platform enables service providers to set up an on-demand, elastic
cloud computing service. It enables a utility computing service by allowing service providers
to offer self-service virtual machine instances, storage volumes, and networking configurations
over the Internet.
*The Apache CloudStack platform enables enterprises to set up a private cloud for use by their
own employees. The current generation of virtualization infrastructure targets enterprise
IT departments who manage virtual machines the same way they would manage physical machines.
The Apache CloudStack platform, on the other hand, enables self-service of virtual machines
by users outside of the IT department.
*As an open source IaaS, Apache CloudStack is available to individuals and organizations that
wish to study and implement an IaaS for personal, educational, and/or production use.
The CloudStack platform includes the Management Server and extensions to industry-standard
hypervisor software (e.g. XenServer, vSphere, KVM) installed on Hosts running in the cloud.
The Management Server is deployed on a farm of management servers. The administrator provisions
resources (Hosts, storage devices, IP addresses, etc.) into the Management Server and the
Management Server manages those resources. The Management server presents web interfaces to
end users and administrators that enable them to take actions on some or all of their instances
in the IaaS cloud.
About Apache Software Foundation
The Apache Software Foundation, a US 501(3)(c) non-profit corporation, provides organizational,
legal, and financial support for a broad range of over 140 open source software projects.
The Foundation provides an established framework for intellectual property and financial contributions
that simultaneously limits potential legal exposure for our project committers. Through a
collaborative and meritocratic development process known as The Apache Way, Apache(tm) projects
deliver enterprise-grade, freely available software products that attract large communities
of users. The pragmatic Apache License makes it easy for all users, commercial and individual,
to deploy Apache products.

For further info, contact [contact info]

Kind Regards
Giles

Giles Sirett
CEO