From Giles Sirett <giles.sir...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: Press release for our eventual graduation?
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2013 15:54:09 GMT
Sally

I'm happy to put together something as a first draft, based on the messaging that you suggest
for a graduation.

Everybody else on this list: hows best that we work together on this?: shall I post some text
on list in as a starting point  to solicit comments & review BEFORE I get something to
Sally ? or would folks rather that I work with Sally and then bring it back to this list ?

Any guidance accepted :-)

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055
Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Chip Childers [mailto:chip.childers@sungard.com]
Sent: 18 March 2013 15:41
To: Sally Khudairi
Cc: cloudstack-marketing@incubator.apache.org; press@apache.org
Subject: Re: Press release for our eventual graduation?

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 03:28:26PM +0000, Sally Khudairi wrote:
> Hello, everyone --thanks for including us in your plans.
>
> With respect to formally announcing your graduation from the Incubator, yes, I am the
one who will be working with you to get the message out.

> Some projects are media/message-savvy and send me their proposed draft for editing into
the ASF format/tone and distribution, whilst others need me to do the whole thing for them
(but help with providing key points/features, and collecting supporting quotes from the community).
I still am the one to pull the trigger on the blogs, Twitter feed, and newswires.

> Seeing that Giles and Chip chomping at the bit, I suspect we'll be
> working together here :-)

Not chomping - just wanting to make sure that it's being handled. ;-)

> I must underscore that we need to work together here: some projects learned that the
Board approved their resolution, went out and blogged and tweeted their enthusiasm at becoming
a TLP, then were confused when we didn't garner any media coverage when the press release
was issued a few weeks later. The press don't report on "old" news, so we need to coordinate
our timing. This is important.

Agreed. In fact, I'd suggest that we will probably want to prepare everything on the cs-marketing
list for whenever we do hear back from the board, and then be sure to coordinate with you
on the timing of the release.

We've generally sought to announce things on Tuesdays (This has been Joe's advice on things
like release announcements), so we understand the value of acting in a coordinated fashion.

I'm not sure how a project is notified of any board results, but if it goes to cloudstack-private@i.a.o
it will be easier to contain the news until an official date (note that cloudstack-marketing@i.a.o
is a public list).

> So having said all this, what's your timeframe?

Unknown. We sent our draft resolution to board@ on Sunday, but are not sure if it made it
onto this month's agenda or not yet.

> Do you want to send me a draft release based on earlier TLP announcements such as:
>
> -
> https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/the_apache_software_foundati
> on_announces39
> -
> https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/the_apache_software_foundati
> on_announces35
> -
> https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/the_apache_software_foundati
> on_announces34

I was hoping that the folks on cloudstack-marketing (Giles / Joe / others) would step up to
do the draft first, and then work with you to ensure that it's appropriate.  We're a pretty
large community, and it's always a good sign when a community can self-organize around work
like this.

> Thanks in advance for your help & enthusiasm. I look forward to working with you!
>
> Chat soon,
> Sally

is a registered trademark.