From Joe Brockmeier <...@zonker.net>
Subject Re: press release draft
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2013 21:34:16 GMT
Giles, thanks for taking this on! Giving it a brief once-over for
formatting, spelling, etc.

Also - I think we really need to trim down Chip's quotes. This isn't a
story, it's a release - one or two short quotes are all that's needed.
With any luck, anyone writing about this will be trying to get unique
quotes from Chip or someone else and not just regurgitating quotes out
of a press release.

- Start -

The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache CloudStack Has Become
A Top-Level Project

Mature, open source turn-key platform for delivering scalable,
full-featured Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) clouds.

 [release location/date]

The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer developers,
stewards, and incubators of nearly 150 open source projects and
initiatives, announced today that Apache CloudStack has graduated from
the Apache Incubator to become a Top-Level Project (TLP), signifying
that the project's community and products have been well-governed under
the ASF's meritocratic process and principles.

"When CloudStack first became an Apache Incubator project, it was a
well-established cloud management platform, so its codebase was already
mature," said Chip Childers, Vice President of Apache CloudStack. "Our
work in the Incubator has focused on growing a really strong community
around the code and establishing the governance practices expected of
a top-level project within the Apache Software Foundation."

Formerly the product of Cloud.com, which was acquired by Citrix in 2011,
CloudStack was donated by Citrix to ASF and submitted to the Apache
Incubator in April 2012. It is a well-established cloud management
platform, already widely in production use by many organizations. It is
used to deliver Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) cloud computing in
both private-cloud, public, and hybrid cloud environments. It has been
proven to be both stable and highly scalable, underpinning production
clouds more than 30,000 physical nodes, in geo-distributed environments.

Asked to comment on the importance of becoming a Top-Level Project,
Childers added "CloudStack had the advantage of having many long-term,
large deployments which had proven the stability and scalability of the
technology. This helped us concentrate on adopting the 'Apache Way'
of governance, which is well understood and open, delivering so many
great pieces of software over the years."

"We know that Infrastructure-as-a-Service is the next generation of
IT infrastructure, and that people will demand open standards and open
governance for such an important layer in their IT stack. That is why
the CloudStack project meeting the rigorous standards of ASF governance
is so significant. "

When asked to comment on the Apache CloudStack community itself, Childers
said: "we've managed to build a diverse, friendly and very open community
around CloudStack. New members receive a really warm welcome and we make
sure that all contributors  are on an equal footing, whether they are
writing code or helping with any other aspect of the project. Anybody
thinking of getting involved in the project would quickly find what a
great community we are. As well as online involvement, we've already
had a global collaboration conference and there are many CloudStack
groups established in many different countries. "

About Apache CloudStack Apache CloudStack is a complete software
suite for creating Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) clouds. Target
environments include service providers and enterprises. It is used
by many service providers to set up an on-demand, elastic cloud computing
services and by enterprises to set up a private cloud for use by their
own employees. Apache CloudStack is also available to individuals and
organizations that wish to study and implement an IaaS for personal,
educational, and/or production use.

Further information on Apache CloudStack can be found at [website URL]

About Apache Software Foundation The Apache Software Foundation,
a US 501(3)(c) non-profit corporation, provides organizational,
legal, and financial support for a broad range of over 140 open source
software projects. The Foundation provides an established framework for
intellectual property and financial contributions that simultaneously
limits potential legal exposure for our project committers. Through a
collaborative and meritocratic development process known as The Apache
Way, Apache(tm) projects deliver enterprise-grade, freely available
software products that attract large communities of users. The pragmatic
Apache License makes it easy for all users, commercial and individual,
to deploy Apache products.

For further info, contact [contact info]

                                 ###

Best,

jzb
--