From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: Talking Points for Graduation
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2013 19:54:18 GMT
On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 05:52:09PM +0000, Sally Khudairi wrote:
> Thanks, Joe.
>
> One question that often comes up from the press is "what's the future of the project"
or "what is next" --so it might be good to have a statement ready that explains how the community
drives the development/requirements/architecture (vs. an ASF "master plan").

Thanks Sally.  Good point.

How about some combination of the thoughts below:

What's next for the project?

Currently, the community is working on two releases.  4.0.2 is a
bug-fix release for the 4.0 feature release.  4.1.0 is our next major
feature release.  Both releases are very close to being completed.

Users of Apache CloudStack can expect a new feature release
approximately every four months. The community has created a time-based
release model which allows for features to be build independently from
the releases themselves, and integrated at an appropriate time to be
part of the available feature release cycle.  Bug-fix releases will
continue to take place in between each major feature release, as needed.
Moving beyond our upcoming 4.1.0 feature release, the community is
already hard at work on many features expected to be included in 4.2.0.

As with all projects in the ASF, project technical decisions are made by
the community through consensus gathering and open discussion.  Apache
CloudStack's features and architecture are constantly growing and
evolving, based on the efforts of the community.