From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: press release draft
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2013 16:17:14 GMT
On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 10:15:49AM -0500, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> Thanks for running with this! Comments in-line.
>
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 01:10:30PM +0000, Giles Sirett wrote:
> >    The Apache Software Foundation announces that CloudStack has become a
> >    top-tier project
>
> The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache CloudStack as a
> Top-Level Project
>
> (let's stick with prior heds and use "Apache CloudStack" rather than
> just CloudStack. And I suspect we'll have a TM following Apache
> CloudStack?)
>
> >    CloudStack, the well-established, production ready,  Cloud Management
> >    Platform today became an Apache Foundation (ASF)  Top-Level project,
> >    signifying the projects ability to self-govern and become part of the
> >    wider ASF community.
>
> This graf is mixing the dek and the lede - we should just have a dek
> here that follows the hed and gives some basic info about the project.
>
> Dek:
>
> Mature, open source turn-key platform for delivering scalable,
> full-featured Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) clouds.
>

> >    [release location/date]

Location is:
Forest Hill, MD

> >    The Apache Software Foundation, the organisation  that governs Tomcat,
> >    Hadoop, and nealy 150 other open-source projects, today announced that
> >    Apache CloudStack  has graduated from the Apache Incubator to become a
> >    Top-Level Project (TLP), signifying that the Project's community and
> >    products have been well-governed under the ASF's meritocratic process and
> >    principles.
>
> The ledes are fairly standardized, so I'm going to assume we'll want to
> stick with the existing formula. I have changed "today announced" to
> "announced today," because I've never understood why press releases use
> that odd phrasing.
>
> Lede:
>
> The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer developers,
> stewards, and incubators of nearly 150 open source projects and
> initiatives, announced today that Apache CloudStack has graduated from
> the Apache Incubator to become a Top-Level Project (TLP), signifying
> that the project's community and products have been well-governed under
> the ASF's meritocratic process and principles.

+1 to the above

> Typically the quote from the VP comes next, so lets move up Chip's quote
> and follow the format:
>
> "When CloudStack first became an Apache Incubator project, it was  a
> well-established cloud management platform, so its codebase was already
> mature," said Chip Childers, Vice President of Apache CloudStack. "Our work
> in the Incubator has focused on the governance of the project and
> building a really strong community around Apache CloudStack."

Rewording the quote to reorder building a community and governance:

"When CloudStack first became an Apache Incubator project, it was a
well-established cloud management platform, so its codebase was already
mature," said Chip Childers, Vice President of Apache CloudStack. "Our work
in the Incubator has focused on growing a really strong community around the
code and establishing the governance practices expected of a top level project
within the Apache Software Foundation."

> Formerly the product of Cloud.com, which was acquired by Citrix in 2011,
> CloudStack was submitted to the Apache Incubator in April 2012.
>
> >    CloudStack is a well established cloud management platform, already widely
> >    in production use by many organisations. It is used to deliver
> >    Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) cloud computing in both private, public,
> >    and hybrid-cloud environments. It has been proven to be both stable and
> >    highly scalable, underpinning production clouds with more than 30,000 physical
> >    nodes, in geo-distributed environments.
>
> Minor changes in above graf. (Oxford comma, replaced "over" with "more
> than".)
>
> >    Apache CloudStack allows service providers to set up an on-demand, elastic
> >    cloud computing service and enterprises to set-up a private cloud for use
> >    by their own employees. Chip continued "We know that Infrastructure
> >    -as-a-Service is the next generation of IT infrastructure and that people
> >    will demand open standards and open governance for such an important layer
> >    in their IT stack. That is why the CloudStack project meeting the rigorous
> >    standards of ASF governance is so significant. "
>
> Replaced "feel" with "know" - IMHO we should be confident that people
> will be moving to IaaS.

I'd like to add something like:

"The Apache CloudStack community looks forward to welcoming new collaborators into the project."

It doesn't have to be a quote, or could be.  The point is that I'd like to mention
that we *do* welcome new folks!