From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: CloudStack Laynard Sponsorship at ChefConf#13
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2013 17:57:38 GMT
On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 08:05:50PM -0500, Mark Hinkle wrote:
> Reposting due to formatting problems with last reply..sorry for the inconvenience.  Update
is bottom-posted.

> On Feb 27, 2013, at 10:17 AM, Chip Childers <chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:

> >> So this is a donation with no affiliation. All the donations I make are
> >> all for the sole purpose of promoting Apache CloudStack no other
> >> organization or strings attached. At each event I donate we'll have at
> >> least one committer (usually David Nalley or Joe Brockmeir). I also have
> >> reached out to some (non-Citrix) committers and offered to cover travel to
> >> make sure we are in compliance.
> >>

> > Ack - thanks.
> >

> >> On the trademarks I just attended Shane's trademark talk at ApacheCon and
> >> the procedure as Shane C. explained it to me is:
> >>
> >> - Discussion here
> >> - Approval by PPMC (David tells me it has to be explicit not lazy
> >> consensus)
> >
> > Just to be specific, I think you covered the first concern (which is
> > affiliation and a committer being present), but how about the physical
> > lanyard?  We'd need to see what that will be, or what logo you would
> > use.
> >
> > I'm currently reserving judgement on "approval" until we see that
> > design (which I'm sure will be fine!, we're just trying to be complete
> > about things).
> >
> > Also, please note that we are going to start adding a (R) to the CS
> > logos going forward, so we'll probably want to ensure that any imagery
> > that you use has that included.
> >
> >> - Proposal to ConCom and then they'll kick it to Trademarks.
> >>
> >> I was planning on getting permission all the way though and cc'ing
> >> trademarks just for good measure.
> >>

> > Please keep cloudstack-marketing@i.a.o CC'ed during those approvals, so
> > that we are aware of the status.
> >
> >> Also I had sent around a request for permission for the same kind of
> >> sponsorship for Devops Days in Austin
> >>
> >> http://devopsdays.org/events/2013-austin/
> >>

> >> And you guys gave permission there but I need to run that by ConCom too.
> >> Technically you are right, though it has to go to trademarks but from what
> >> Shane and Nick indicated Concom will route as appropriate until after
> >> CloudStack graduates then we need to go right to trademarks once we are
> >> done incubating.
> >
> > Great - glad that process got clarified.  Thanks.
> >

> >> Regards, Mark
> >>

> The design is simply the logo from the Apache CloudStack website. if they can do multi-color
they would match the colors and if unicolor it would be white.

> http://incubator.apache.org/cloudstack/images/logo-sm.png

OK - thanks.  Unless anyone objects in the next 72 hours, I'd say that it's
approved from a PPMC standpoint.

> However CloudStack is a word mark. The CloudStack logo is not a registered trademark,
so if you want to add the R you can because of the word mark but you would need to trademark
the actual logo to include a circle R. IANAL I just play one on the Internet.

David - Have any thoughts on this?  I know you spoke with trademarks@
about it a bit.