From Daniel Shahaf <...@daniel.shahaf.name>
Subject Re: Question about vendor-neutrality aspects of having "user case studies"
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2013 15:06:48 GMT
Chip Childers wrote on Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 10:02:59 -0500:
> On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 02:54:43PM +0000, Mark Thomas wrote:
> > On 07/03/2013 14:34, Chip Childers wrote:
> > > NOTE: cross posted between a public and private list.
> >
> > Ack.
> >
> > > Vendor neutrality is obviously a critical aspect of the ASF's community
> > > development practices, as well as an important brand protection
> > > mechanism for the projects, hence why I wanted to bring trademarks@
> > > into the discussion for advice and guidance.
> > >
> > > Has this type of thing been discussed other projects (and do you
> > > know the outcomes)?  If not, what would be your guidance for CloudStack
> > > specifically, and Apache projects generally?
> >
> > Case studies are fine. The neutrality bit comes from letting anyone post
> > a case study. If submissions were limited (e.g. to employers of
> > committers or even worse employers of a subset of committers) then that
> > would be a problem and expect the board to be "most seriously displeased".
> >
> > As an example, Tomcat has a Wiki pages (so anyone can edit them) for
> > users [1], support providers and training providers[2].
>
> Thanks Mark.  So marketing folks - the wiki is where we're going to need
> to host these (if we want to host them), or where we need to collect
> links to external sites.  That way, anyone can add their own (regardless
> of commit status in the project).

That does not follow.  Subversion used to have a links.html page listing
projects that interface with our product.  To be added to the page,
projects had to send a patch (following our patch submission guidelines)
against the page source in our repository.

Feel free to compare this to technical and social commit bits.  (Anyone
could get themselves added to the page, but only project committers had
the ability to modify the HEAD version of the page in our repository.)