From Daniel Shahaf <...@daniel.shahaf.name>
Subject Re: Question about vendor-neutrality aspects of having "user case studies"
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2013 15:00:59 GMT
Chip Childers wrote on Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 09:34:20 -0500:
> The CloudStack marketing community is currently discussing getting case
> studies from various users of the software, and understanding any
> current consensus on what's right vs. wrong would be helpful.

An ASF project site should not endorse or prefer any single vendor.
It's fine to link to external sites --- Subversion links to external
parties for binaries, and OpenOffice for support --- but you need to be
impartial about it.  Also use rel="nofollow" on external links.

/me greps nofollow http://www.apache.org/**/*...

http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/linking might be related.  (It is
still a draft, so Shane might weigh in as to how close it is to his
current thoughts about an eventual policy.

> While I'm sure that actively promoting the *idea* of users posting case
> studies on their own sites is perfectly fine,

+1

> Has this type of thing been discussed other projects (and do you
> know the outcomes)?  If not, what would be your guidance for CloudStack
> specifically, and Apache projects generally?

You're aware of the issues here --- content useful to users, and being
neutral towards third parties --- so I'm confident you'll find a fair
balance.

Daniel