From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Question about vendor-neutrality aspects of having "user case studies"
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2013 14:34:20 GMT
NOTE: cross posted between a public and private list.

trademarks@ folks:

I have questions about intent / best practices / examples of where a
project community provides case studies on it's website of users of the
project's software.

The CloudStack marketing community is currently discussing getting case
studies from various users of the software, and understanding any
current consensus on what's right vs. wrong would be helpful.

While I'm sure that actively promoting the *idea* of users posting case
studies on their own sites is perfectly fine, I'm wondering about the
potential implications of the project itself hosting or linking to these
from our own site.

Vendor neutrality is obviously a critical aspect of the ASF's community
development practices, as well as an important brand protection
mechanism for the projects, hence why I wanted to bring trademarks@
into the discussion for advice and guidance.

Has this type of thing been discussed other projects (and do you
know the outcomes)?  If not, what would be your guidance for CloudStack
specifically, and Apache projects generally?

-chip