From Mark Hinkle <Mark.Hin...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: press release draft
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2013 20:38:46 GMT
I think this is a good press release and would only add the following so when it syndicates
through news sites I have had better luck with a title and then subtitle with the details
so when it lists in news feeds the news doesn't get truncated and the subtitle becomes the
description.

Title: CloudStack Open Source Cloud Computing Platform Becomes an Apache Top Level Project
Subtitle: The Apache Software Foundation announces CloudStack has successfully graduated from
the ASF Incubator.

By adding open source and cloud computing in the title I guarantee you'll get better pickup
from the communities interested in those topics. Just my two cents. Sorry for weighing in
late but was out on some vacation.

Regards, Mark

On Mar 20, 2013, at 4:25 PM, Chip Childers <chip.childers@sungard.com>
 wrote:

> This is great Giles.  Thanks for doing this.
>
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Giles Sirett
> <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>> Draft number 3
>> Revisions from version 2 are:
>>
>> Chip: ..... reorder building a community and governance
>> Chip: I've added in some further stuff about new members & warm welcomes. Any
more and we'll be promising to hug new contributors
>> Matt: around Citrix donation
>>

>> Things I didn't revise (and why)
>>
>> Chip -havent added location & date, will let Sally handle/control
>> Matt -language is still UK. I'm not the best person to "translate".  Can somebody
in US run it through your spellchecker and correct where necessary ? - or maybe Sally is happy
to do this (if this is only a draft)
>> Matt: your first comment arose because a CRLF hadn't copied over
>> .
>>

>> ==========PRESS RELEASE=================
>>
>> The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache CloudStack Has Become A Top-Level
 Project

>> Mature, open source turn-key platform for delivering scalable, full-featured Infrastructure-as-a-Service
(IaaS) clouds.

>> [release location/date]
>> The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer developers, stewards, and
incubators of nearly 150 open source projects and initiatives, announced today that Apache
CloudStack has graduated from the Apache Incubator to become a Top-Level Project (TLP), signifying
that the project's community and products have been well-governed under the ASF's meritocratic
process and principles.

>> "When CloudStack first became an Apache Incubator project, it was  a well-established
cloud management platform, so its codebase was already mature," said Chip Childers, Vice President
of Apache CloudStack. "Our work in the Incubator has focused on growing a really strong community
around the code and establishing the governance practices expected of a top level project
within the Apache Software Foundation."

>> Formerly the product of Cloud.com, which was acquired by Citrix in 2011, CloudStack
was donated by Citrix to ASF and submitted to the Apache Incubator in April 2012.  It is a
well-established  cloud management platform, already widely in production use by many organisations.
It is used to deliver Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) cloud computing in both private-cloud,
public and hybrid cloud environments. It has been proven to be both stable and highly scalable,
underpinning production clouds more than 30,000 physical nodes, in geo-distributed environments.

>> Asked to comment on the importance of becoming a Top-Level Project, Chip commented
"CloudStack  had the advantage of having many long-term, large deployments which had proven
the stability and scalability of the technology. This helped us concentrate on adopting the
'Apache way' of governance, which is well understood and open, delivering so many great pieces
of software over the years"

>> "We know that Infrastructure -as-a-Service is the next generation of IT infrastructure
and that people will demand open standards and open governance for such an important layer
in their IT stack. That is why the CloudStack project meeting the rigorous standards of ASF
governance is so significant. "

>> When asked to comment on the Apache CloudStack community itself, Chip said: "we've
managed to build a diverse, friendly and very open community around CloudStack. New members
receive a really warm welcome and we make sure that all contributors  are on an equal footing,
whether they are writing code or helping with any other aspect of the project. Anybody thinking
of getting involved in the project would quickly find what a great community we are. As well
as online involvement,  we've already had a global collaboration conference and there are
many CloudStack groups established in many different countries. "

>> About Apache CloudStack
>> Apache CloudStack is a complete software suite for creating Infrastructure-as-a-Service
(IaaS) clouds. Target environments include service providers and enterprises. It is used widely
 by service providers to set up an on-demand, elastic cloud computing services and by enterprises
to set up a private cloud for use by their own employees. Apache CloudStack is also available
to individuals and organizations that wish to study and implement an IaaS for personal, educational,
and/or production use.

>> Further information on Apache CloudStack can be found at [website URL]
>>
>> About Apache Software Foundation
>> The Apache Software Foundation, a US 501(3)(c) non-profit corporation, provides organizational,
legal, and financial support for a broad range of over 140 open source software projects.
The Foundation provides an established framework for intellectual property and financial contributions
that simultaneously limits potential legal exposure for our project committers. Through a
collaborative and meritocratic development process known as The Apache Way, Apache(tm) projects
deliver enterprise-grade, freely available software products that attract large communities
of users. The pragmatic Apache License makes it easy for all users, commercial and individual,
to deploy Apache products.

>> For further info, contact [contact info]
>>
>> ====ENDS========
>>

>> Kind Regards
>> Giles
>>
>> D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055
>> Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com

Might be more copy editing.

>> Matt
>>

>> On 3/20/13 6:29 AM, "Giles Sirett" <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Press release draft 2
>>>
>>> I've tried to incorporate  everybody's comments. I'm going offline now
>>> for 12 hours. As per Chips last post, if we're aiming for Monday, then
>>> I'll pick up all comments tomorrow and look at them all together. This
>>> will help me get the inevitable draft 3 together
>>>
>>> Writing a press release for a meritoric bunch of software developers
>>> who all seemed to  major in English - what could go wrong ?
>>>
>>> ========================PRESS RELEASE===========
>>>
>>> The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache CloudStack Has Become A
>>> Top-Level Project Mature, open source turn-key platform for delivering
>>> scalable, full-featured Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) clouds.
>> "Has Become A Top-Level Project Mature," Seems odd wording to average reader. Also
as a headline A shouldn't be capitalized. These seem like better reading, but maybe I'm missing
a reason behind this.

>> "Has Become a Top-Level Mature Project" or "Has Become Top-Level Project Mature"
>>

>>> [release location/date]
>>> The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer developers,
>>> stewards, and incubators of nearly 150 open source projects and
>>> initiatives, announced today that Apache CloudStack has graduated from
>>> the Apache Incubator to become a Top-Level Project (TLP), signifying
>>> that the project's community and products have been well-governed under
>>> the ASF's meritocratic process and principles.
>>
>> Start of Chip's Quote should be a new Paragraph I believe.
>>> "When CloudStack first became an Apache Incubator project, it was  a
>>> well-established cloud management platform, so its codebase was already
>>> mature," said Chip Childers, Vice President of Apache CloudStack. "Our
>>> work in the Incubator has focused on the governance of the project and
>>> building a really strong community around Apache CloudStack."
>>>
>>> Formerly the product of Cloud.com, which was acquired by Citrix in
>>> 2011, CloudStack was submitted to the Apache Incubator in April 2012.
>>
>> While it was "submitted" I think there is a need to mention the donation here. I
know we're not promoting Citrix here, but a Corporate entity doesn't buy something and it
just magically appears in open-source later on, especially in ASF. There's a link missing
in the chain.

>> "Formerly the product of Cloud.com, which was acquired by Citrix in 2011, CloudStack
was donated by Citrix to ASF and submitted to the Apache Incubator in April 2012."

>>> It is a well-established cloud management platform, already widely in
>>> production use by many organisations.
>>
>> Interesting question here. Are we going with British English or American English
on this? No offense of course Giles, but my Spell checker is going off on "organisations"
vs. "organizations" and such. If this is coming out of the US, we may have to copy edit this
for US at some point.

>>> It is used to deliver Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) cloud
>>> computing in both private-cloud, public and hybrid cloud environments.
>>> It has been proven to be both stable and highly scalable, underpinning
>>> production clouds more than 30,000 physical nodes, in geo-distributed environments.
>>>
>>> Asked to comment on the importance of becoming a Top-Level Project,
>>> Chip commented "CloudStack  had the advantage of having many long-term,
>>> large deployments which had proven the stability and scalability of the
>>> technology. This helped us concentrate on adopting the 'Apache way' of
>>> governance, which is well understood and open, delivering so many great
>>> pieces of software over the years"
>> No End Quote if the Quote is continuing on into the next paragraph.
>>
>>> "We know that Infrastructure-as-a-Service is the next generation of IT
>>> infrastructure and that people will demand open standards and open
>>> governance for such an important layer in their IT stack. That is why
>>> the CloudStack project meeting the rigorous standards of ASF governance
>>> is so significant. "
>>> When asked to comment on the Apache CloudStack community itself, Chip
>>> said: "we've managed to build a diverse, friendly and very open
>>> community around CloudStack. New members receive a really warm welcome
>>> and we make sure that all contributors  are on an equal footing,
>>> whether they are writing code or helping with any other aspect of the
>>> project. As well as online involvement,  we've already had a global
>>> collaboration conference and there are many CloudStack groups
>>> established in many different countries. "
>>
>> You can use IaaS here because you already referenced it in the above section. Would
be I believe, ""We know that (IaaS) is the next generationŠ"