From Joe Brockmeier <...@zonker.net>
Subject Re: Elevator Pitch / Top N Features
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2013 17:33:50 GMT
On Tue, Mar 5, 2013, at 11:12 AM, Musayev, Ilya wrote:
> I see your point, on the other hand, if you mention what is true, you
> don't overstate or beat your competitor, I don't believe we should have
> an issue.
>
> We are only mentioning the facts. In addition, many of us are not
> affiliated with Citrix, though we are affiliated with the project this is
> still community lead effort.

Not sure what a Citrix affiliation would have to do with Apache
CloudStack. ;-)

Being community led doesn't make a difference, IMHO, from the vantage of
a Wikipedia "editor" who is looking at contributions coming in with an
eye for bias/gaming the page.

> I don't believe we should just let Wikipedia page stay outdated and wait
> for someone else to do it - as it may never happen - or happen with
> considerable amount of delay (I.e. we are on version 4.1 and article
> mentions 3.x). Lots of things have changed since then and the person who
> updates the wiki may not have enough expertise to write about something
> he does not know about.

Totally agree with this. If the wikipedia article says "current release
is 3.x" then I think we're empowered to change that.

For instance, looking at the page I noticed the stable release info was
outdated - so I edited that. Purely factual, I can't imagine anyone can
complain about that edit.

On the other hand, coordinating on the list to discuss how to *promote*
ACS via Wikipedia may well be viewed unfavorably.

> If we stay ethically correct, state only facts, don't down play on
> competitors and this comes from the community, my humble opinion, we
> should be ok.
>
> Thoughts?

See above - but "comes from the community" won't necessarily be viewed
as a "defense" if it looks like we're editing the page impartially.

I think we should take an active interest in making sure the page is
accurate and current, and any community member can do that. I start to
worry when it comes to talking about using promotional text from our Web
site on Wikipedia. That would probably be viewed unfavorably.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier