From Joe Brockmeier <...@zonker.net>
Subject Re: Weekly News (4 March 2013) posted; Please help promote
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2013 15:45:54 GMT
On Tue, Mar 5, 2013, at 09:37 AM, Noah Slater wrote:
> This is so, so great.
>
> I have some questions about it though:
>
> * How long does it take you to compile this information?

Varies - no less than two hours, usually three or so.

> * How do you approach the problem of compiling it? (Do you read
> *everything* or... what?)

I read ALL THE THINGS. ;-)

So, really - I use MarkMail's RSS feed and Google News. I go through the
last week and skim all the discussions, looking particularly at the
[DISCUSS], [VOTE], and [PROPOSAL] type threads.

Also, I am usually following discussions throughout the week and it's
easy to remember the high points (e.g., Chip's regular schedule
reminders, or discussions that seemed particularly important.)

> * What are the pain points? How could it be made easier?

I probably miss some things, it'd be great if other folks would add
items. Rohit added a few things to the previous week's issue, and that
helped a lot.

If I were better organized, I'd do a better job of slapping things in
during the week when they happen as opposed to compiling it Monday
morning or Sunday night.

> I won't lie. I am mainly thinking about doing something like this on
> another Apache project!

It's a shame there's not a meta-Apache Weekly News that does this for
all Apache projects. Apache is an enormous collection of communities,
and it's really hard for people to know what's going on "next door" --
which means that there's probably lost opportunities for collaboration.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier