From Joe Brockmeier <...@zonker.net>
Subject Re: FW: Wiki visual guidlines
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2013 14:22:20 GMT
On Thu, Feb 28, 2013, at 02:09 PM, kdamage@apache.org wrote:
> Here is where it becomes debate.
>
> I fully agree with you, but I also believe (and we are on the marketing
> list) that consistency between publically facing article bearing our
> intent
> and branding is key. And leads to the perceived professionalism of our
> project.

I think the *code* and *quality* of documentation mean a lot more than
whether we have consistent colors and branding. Again - if we have
anything that's just hideous to look upon in the wiki, we should
certainly fix it.

My larger concerns are:

- Getting the word out about CloudStack - we still have an awareness
problem compared to other projects, and that is (at least in my mind)
priority #1 for any marketing effort.
- Filling out the wiki and documentation.
- Getting people to the wiki and documentation.

> But this brings up another question, what about grammar, etc?
>
> I'm willing to put in a couple hours a week and curate the wiki, but
> establishing norms upfront allows people willing to follow guides, the
> option.

It's awesome that you're willing to help curate the wiki, thanks!

If you want to work on norms/styleguide, that's fine - I suspect that
trying to address grammar issues up-front rather than editing after the
fact is going to be tricky.

> So really I'm not saying this is firm must follow or die guidelines, but
> something for willing. And for those with no time to format, perhaps
> someone
> like me will be willing to format for them? In fact people adding large
> content articles could reach out to myself or the list and request
> assistance in formatting and review.

That's something I'd like to see on the wiki / guide somewhere: "If
you've created a large piece of content or done some serious editing,
please point it out on the list so we will be aware of it and be able to
help improve it." That's a great idea and it'd be nice if folks got in
that habit.

Best,

jzb
--