From Sonny Chhen <Sonny.Ch...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [Discuss]Apache wedbsite redesign
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2013 17:54:59 GMT
Thanks for the feedback all. The current content for the design is derived from the items on
the current website. We can re-arrange and apply priority items in the main content area as
people prefer. The screenshot can be changed to the darker gui that we hope to release soon
to give it more of a dramatic feel. I'm open to surfacing the top level items in the main
areas for ease of use and availability.

Please keep the feedback coming.

Thanks You and Best Regards,

Sonny H. Chhen
Manager of User Interface & User Experience | Citrix Systems - CloudPlatform
4988 Great America Parkway, Santa Clara, CA  95054, USA

-----Original Message-----
From: Chip Childers [mailto:chip.childers@sungard.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:33 AM
To: cloudstack-marketing@incubator.apache.org
Cc: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org; cloudstack-users@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Discuss]Apache wedbsite redesign

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 04:26:48PM +0000, Musayev, Ilya wrote:
> Both cordova.apache.org and couch have the same designs - where top frame is always visible.
I like that concept as well.

> The design proposed by Sonny, is similar to what MS Tablet has, and I personally prefer
that - simply due to the fact the link/page you about to visit - has a description of what
you about to see. No room for guessing and clicking around - simply precise and straight to
the point.

> My personal opinion also that the background of Sonny original design with CS screenshot
- though a good idea - does not match with colors of the layout.

> I guess we can put this to a vote on other mailing lists and settle it then.

No need to vote right now.  Let's see where the conversation takes us.

Sonny, have any thoughts on the comments made so far?

> Regards
> ilya

notifications about the website. Then they can take you to the Blog, Newsletter or whatever
new info is going on.

> > Thank you,
> > Matt Mullins
> > Cloud Platforms Implementation Engineer Worldwide Cloud Services
> > mathias.mullins@citrix.com
> > +1 (407) 920-1107
> >
> > On Feb 20, 2013, at 5:17 PM, "Musayev, Ilya" <imusayev@webmd.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Sonny,
> >>
> >> I like the new design - from the end user perspective - its very
> >> intuitive and straightforward. +1 for usability
> >>
> >> I also like the concept of what you and Matt mentioned in past - that is trying
to use the existing design of CS (especially newer 4.1/4.2) on current apache site.

> >> Last but not least, if we do go with current design, do you think we can pick
a sexier background of CS other than alerts :)? For a newbie who does not know what CS does,
seeing alerts makes it seem like CS has lots of trouble.

> >> Thanks
> >> ilya

thing about how that by maybe reusing some of the icon with the sections as well it could
really help tie the project site into the product.

> >> That started making me wonder if the dashboard framework would actually work
for making a consistent portal front page as well. Each section would have it's own area and
as people used the website they would also be learning how to use the product. Might be a
little far fetched but wanted to throw it out there.

> >> Thank you,
> >> Matt

help in marketing CloudStack. I mentioned in that thread that I was playing around with the
idea of a redesign for the Apache CloudStack site. I did create a mockup and you can see the
design at the link below. I feel that this design is clean and will help new people onboarding
with CloudStack feel comfortable in exploring the site and learning more about CloudStack.
Also the site is more "marketing" friendly and helps in providing a good first impression
for those coming to learn about CloudStack for the first time.

that should be pursued. I can continue working on other pages if this does well, but will
need help in development. This could be part of an initiative to redesign a few other areas
of CloudStack such as the documentation, documentation portal, social media, and maybe the
wiki to provide a more consistent experience.