From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: CloudStack Laynard Sponsorship at ChefConf#13
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2013 15:17:45 GMT
On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 06:25:20PM -0500, Mark Hinkle wrote:

> On 2/26/13 1:16 PM, "Chip Childers" <chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:

> >>24-26: http://chefconf.opscode.com/
> >>help raise the project profile I know we have quite a few Chef users too.
> >>blurb for the ChefConf#13 website.

> >> Hi Mark,
> >>
> >> Thanks for bringing this to the list.  David recently posted a Draft
> >> brand management guideline document [1], which I think we should use in
> >> responding to this request (helping determine if it's reasonable and
> >> useful for the project with a real-live test case).
> >>
> >> I believe the relevant section is:
> >>
> >>   Sponsoring Events:
> >>
> >>     Sponsoring events can provide good visibility for the project,
> >>however it frequently
> >>     requires funds that the project does not have access to. Many
> >>outside organizations
> >>     wish to provide this type of visibility.
> >>
> >>     In addition to gaining the approval of ConCom the following is
> >>required:
> >>     * Sponsorship discussed and approved on the cloudstack-marketing
> >>list. Approval is given by the (P)PMC.
> >>     * Sponsorship must be provided with no additional affiliation - and
> >>only project provided marks used.
> >>     * At least one committer must be planning to represent the project.
> >>

> >> So given those draft requirements, obviously this is the first one
> >>(although we'll
> >> need to approve after discussion).  Can you comment on the affiliation
> >>question?  And
> >> is a committer going to be present?
> >>
> >> Thanks for working with us on this, as we are trying to get a handle on
> >>our project's
> >> brand management responsibilities.
> >>
> >> -chip
> >>

> >> [1]
> >>https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Trademark+Guidelin
> >>es+(DRAFT)
> >
> >I also realized that you mentioned the lanyard itself!  That triggers
> >another relevant section:
> >
> >  Non-software goods
> >
> >    * Without explicit written permission, goods bearing any of the
> >    CloudStack marks may not be sold.
> >
> >    * Designs for non-software goods require both PMC approval and
> >    approval from trademarks@.
> >
> >Since this is a give-a-way, obviously it's not a for-sale item.
> >However, we're asking to approve the design (and trademarks@ would need
> >to be involved as well).
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >-chip
>

> So this is a donation with no affiliation. All the donations I make are
> all for the sole purpose of promoting Apache CloudStack no other
> organization or strings attached. At each event I donate we'll have at
> least one committer (usually David Nalley or Joe Brockmeir). I also have
> reached out to some (non-Citrix) committers and offered to cover travel to
> make sure we are in compliance.

Ack - thanks.

> On the trademarks I just attended Shane's trademark talk at ApacheCon and
> the procedure as Shane C. explained it to me is:
>
> - Discussion here
> - Approval by PPMC (David tells me it has to be explicit not lazy
> consensus)

Just to be specific, I think you covered the first concern (which is
affiliation and a committer being present), but how about the physical
lanyard?  We'd need to see what that will be, or what logo you would
use.

I'm currently reserving judgement on "approval" until we see that
design (which I'm sure will be fine!, we're just trying to be complete
about things).

Also, please note that we are going to start adding a (R) to the CS
logos going forward, so we'll probably want to ensure that any imagery
that you use has that included.

> - Proposal to ConCom and then they'll kick it to Trademarks.
>
> I was planning on getting permission all the way though and cc'ing
> trademarks just for good measure.

Please keep cloudstack-marketing@i.a.o CC'ed during those approvals, so
that we are aware of the status.

> Also I had sent around a request for permission for the same kind of
> sponsorship for Devops Days in Austin
>
> http://devopsdays.org/events/2013-austin/
>

> And you guys gave permission there but I need to run that by ConCom too.
> Technically you are right, though it has to go to trademarks but from what
> Shane and Nick indicated Concom will route as appropriate until after
> CloudStack graduates then we need to go right to trademarks once we are
> done incubating.

Great - glad that process got clarified.  Thanks.