From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: CloudStack Laynard Sponsorship at ChefConf#13
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2013 21:16:52 GMT
On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 04:04:34PM -0500, Chip Childers wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 02:39:53PM -0500, Mark Hinkle wrote:
> > I have the Lanyard sponsorship for #ChefConf this year on April 24-26: http://chefconf.opscode.com/
> > I was planning on donating the sponsorship to Apache CloudStack to help raise the
project profile I know we have quite a few Chef users too.
> > Basically we get the CloudStack logo on the lanyards and a 50 word blurb for the
ChefConf#13 website.

> > Any thought? Mark
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> Thanks for bringing this to the list.  David recently posted a Draft
> brand management guideline document [1], which I think we should use in
> responding to this request (helping determine if it's reasonable and
> useful for the project with a real-live test case).
>
> I believe the relevant section is:
>
>   Sponsoring Events:
>
>     Sponsoring events can provide good visibility for the project, however it frequently

>     requires funds that the project does not have access to. Many outside organizations

>     wish to provide this type of visibility.
>
>     In addition to gaining the approval of ConCom the following is required:
>     * Sponsorship discussed and approved on the cloudstack-marketing list. Approval is
given by the (P)PMC.
>     * Sponsorship must be provided with no additional affiliation - and only project
provided marks used.
>     * At least one committer must be planning to represent the project.
>

> So given those draft requirements, obviously this is the first one (although we'll
> need to approve after discussion).  Can you comment on the affiliation question?  And
> is a committer going to be present?
>
> Thanks for working with us on this, as we are trying to get a handle on our project's
> brand management responsibilities.
>
> -chip
>

> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Trademark+Guidelines+(DRAFT)

I also realized that you mentioned the lanyard itself!  That triggers
another relevant section:

  Non-software goods

    * Without explicit written permission, goods bearing any of the
    CloudStack marks may not be sold.

    * Designs for non-software goods require both PMC approval and
    approval from trademarks@.

Since this is a give-a-way, obviously it's not a for-sale item.
However, we're asking to approve the design (and trademarks@ would need
to be involved as well).

Thanks!

-chip