From "Musayev, Ilya" <imusa...@webmd.net>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Support lifetime
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2013 16:04:31 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: David Nalley [mailto:david@gnsa.us]
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2013 10:04 AM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Support lifetime

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Chip Childers <chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 05:34:41AM -0500, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:

>> To make sure I get this right:
>>
>> So Once we release 4.2 we will only bug fix 4.1 and stop bug fixing 4.0 ?
>
> That's what I'm proposing, yes.

>> Once we jump to 5.X we will bug fix the latest 4.x release (if it's 4.2, we will
stop bug fixing 4.1) ?

> That's also what I'm proposing, yup.
>
>> The really crucial part for me is to make sure we have a really solid/tested upgrade
path. We cannot leave anyone out in the cold of a "unsupported" release.

> Indeed.  Upgrades remain critical to this project.  We need to
> constantly ensure that we have upgrade paths available from any
> version to the latest version.

>> > Given the current levels of participation on dot-releases, I think
>> > this is the most realistic approach that's good for the community.
>> >
>> > +1
>> >

> So software typically has several stages:

> Does end of support mean both of these things simultaneously.
> No more bugfixes
> No more security fixes

> So wearing your enterprise software consumer hat - does a support lifetime of approximately
12 months make sense? (not saying it doesn't, just asking the question) Under the above proposal
we'd end support for the 4.0 line after 4.2 releases. (I'd personally say we  > should
add a month (so that EOL is one month after 4.n+2 releases, with the understanding that 4.n
is likely to only receive security fixes if any during that extra one month window)

> --David

I think a 12 month support is reasonable for bug fixes and security patches. Now if we adhere
to a release schedule of 4 months, we will have 3 new releases every year, within 24 month
cycle, there is going to be 6 versions of CloudStack to either release or maintain.

Does anyone else besides myself thinks it's a little too much to handle?