From Dave Cahill <dcah...@midokura.com>
Subject Re: devcloud-kvm updated
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2013 06:52:34 GMT
Hi Marcus,

With the recent KVM patchdisk changes in master, the old System VM template
doesn't seem to create the /dev/vport0p1 interface correctly, so it doesn't
get information on that port, and doesn't bring up the systemVM interfaces.
I'm guessing this is explained by this commit comment [1]:

"if system vm has proper driver it
will create a /dev/vport0p1 device within the VM. We will be updating the
system VM in 4.2/5.0 and will support this."

To fix this, we removed our existing System VM template and downloaded the
jenkins template you mention above, using cloud-install-sys-tmplt.

I think devs might be confused when they update to this point (system VM
interfaces mysteriously fail to come up), because changing the qcow2 in dev
generally only happens when doing a full fresh install. I wonder what we
can do to make it obvious to everyone - maybe a reminder mail to the list,
changing the recommended template link in docs etc?

Kudos on tackling the patchdisk problem by the way, I think this new system
will be a lot easier for new devs to understand. :)

Thanks,
Dave.

[1]
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-cloudstack.git;a=commit;h=d81f7156dca5000e0e14a4a402c4e03a86ebbe2d