From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: Wiki Content Licensing
Date Thu, 14 Mar 2013 17:27:35 GMT
On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 1:20 PM, Mark Hinkle <Mark.Hinkle@citrix.com> wrote:
> I bring this up because as I look at the wiki there is no copyright notice nor does a
search bring up a link to a copyright notice on the wiki. Is the wiki content licensed under
the Apache License 2.0 like the manuals or does it fall under some other licensing?

> The reason I ask  is that a number of us have participated in creating a case studies
of Apache CloudStack successes and the documents are done  and ready to publish.

> Ideally we would like to publish these docs (non-commercial purely factual) on the wiki(https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Home)
but we want to do this under the Creative Commons by SA 3.0  license (attribution to point
back to the CloudStack wiki)  so that people can use them and remix them to help promote ACS.
I know the manuals are licensed under the Apache License 2.0 but there is no copyright or
licensing information on the wiki that I can see.

> We suggest using the CCbySA license for these particular documents since when the case
studies are redistributed it's a well understood documentation license and a checkbox license
at places like ScribD etc. Our goal would be to have people reblog them and distribute the
news of CloudStack success and not have to worry about copyright infringement etc.

> Thanks, Mark

So we've discussed this more generally previously on this list and on
legal-discuss.

See the answer from Greg Stein here on legal-discuss:
http://markmail.org/message/wswgys56yelbd44f

And Brett Porter on cloudstack-dev
http://markmail.org/message/nt6ouekqwvvthnfs

--David