From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS} API Throttling minimum number of calls per unit of time
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2013 22:57:33 GMT
On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Parth Jagirdar
<Parth.Jagirdar@citrix.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> API throttling number can be set to anything at this point.
>
> Suggestions here is to have this number set to a value that is "greater than" number
of API that can be fired by any potential action on UI.

> Minimum API for throttling that can be set  <  Number of API's Any action can fire
in unit time.
> (unit time is 1 second)
>

> That said say action X fires 10 API in 2 seconds than having 10 as min number is safe.
Or even 8 if we have decent idea of intervals  they get fired at..
> But for action Y that fires 20 in 2 seconds with 15 in first seconds than 15 as min number
is required to avoid undesirable effects

> Real life example,
>
> Login as user (not admin; throttling doesn't apply to Admin) fires about 8 in total.
(in less than a second which is the unit we are using in API throttling)

> Now if this number is set to anything less than this will have unpleasant effect on UI.
>
> Including unwanted error (HTML 429) and partial UI screen rendering.
>

> So to hardcode numbers or just document and leave on admins to exercise cautions or ...
 .. Please provide your suggestions /inputs.

> Track it here:  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-1483
>

> Thanks,
> ...Parth

IMO - people should not be surprised when they upgrade to a new
feature release.
The default should be no throttling.
We also have to remember that there are other things besides the UI
that interact with the API. If I were to use Cloudcat  or
knife-cloudstack and provision n-number of nodes, I suspect I'd
rapidly find myself throttled/blacklisted. Any sane default that's
remotely useful for most folks will be awful for high-end
sophisticated users. Adding new functionality that breaks things by
default for folks is just a bad idea.

--David