From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] EIP across zones
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2013 21:46:21 GMT
On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 1:31 AM, Murali Reddy <Murali.Reddy@citrix.com> wrote:
> I would like to propose enhancing current EIP functionality (currently available in basic
zone). I have made a case for this feature earlier [2] and captured requirements in the feature
bug [2]. This proposal would like to introduce following functionality.

>   1.  EIP service with in 'advanced' zone where acquired zone level public IP can be
'static nat' to any instance account owns in that zone.
>   2.  to introduce a new category of public IP called 'EIP' that are provisioned by admin
at region level and are available for user consumption
>   3.  to provide EIP service across zones (both basic and advanced) where acquired region
level public IP can be 'static nat' to any instance an account owns in that region.

> I would like to seek the feedback on the functional requirements and design. FS is available
at [3].

> [1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-cloudstack-dev/201212.mbox/%3CCCF5113A.2861B%25murali.reddy@citrix.com%3E
> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-652
> [3] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/EIP+Enhancements
>
> Thanks,
> Murali

This assumes that there is a common pool of IP addresses available -
which assumes things like BGP are in place and routing packets between
multiple datacenters/providers and that you are interacting with BGP
properly.

I'll be frank and say that the complexity and interaction with systems
that are outside of our control scares me.

What exactly are we getting here that we couldn't obtain with things
like having folks manage DNS much better, as I fear there are many
dragons along this path.

How would you propose to test such a beast?

--David