From Alex Huang <Alex.Hu...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] BVT for CloudStack checkins
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2013 16:54:05 GMT

> I'd add:
> Large scale of our code base
> Difficulty of testing at scale without plenty of hardware (which was a problem
> stated during incubation proposal)

I'm going to start off a branch specifically to do BVT on  simulator and devCloud so that
we can at least have system vms/vrs and business logic tested.

Specific hardware will be different but should be a much smaller part of our code base.  Also
I believe specific hardware code can be broken but mostly won't affect others.  Here the main
concern is changes impacting the developer community at large.

> > We should also be prepared to discuss how other ASF projects deal with
> > this, and how we are different from them (are we bigger, are we moving
> > faster, etc...).
> >

> Honestly the Hadoop ecosystem has some of the same problems. It might be
> worth talking with some of those folks.
>
> > So if we want to head down this path, which again I think we should
> > (and I understand some of the concerns raised by others...  we need to
> > deal with those specific issues), then we need to bring the points
> > above to a conclusion.
> >
> > Who wants to drive this discussion forward?
>
> The person who drives this, particularly with infrastructure, should be the
> person who plans on doing the work to get this accomplished. In my mind
> this is a medium term effort - probably a couple of months.

I'm perfectly fine with driving the BVT side of things but like I said, I don't think I can
do the infra side of things.  Someone else needs to take that over.

--Alex