From Radhika Puthiyetath <radhika.puthiyet...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [ACS41] 4.1 branch moving to "limited updates only" after today
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2013 09:08:36 GMT
Hi Chip,

If there are doc defects to be fixed (we have the doc sprint going on, now!), do we need to
merge them only to Master ?

Or could we submit them as patches on the Review Board ?

What is the best approach ?

Thanks
-Radhika

-----Original Message-----
From: Chip Childers [mailto:chip.childers@sungard.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:56 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: [ACS41] 4.1 branch moving to "limited updates only" after today

Everyone should know this by now, but our schedule has us shifting to a model where we limit
the commits going into the 4.1 branch to a very few.

Now we have some serious bugs still outstanding, which is challenging to say the least.  That
being said, I'd suggest that we don't change the plan.  Stabilizing the 4.1 branch should
be our focus, and that means that we have to be very selective about what commits go into
it moving forward.

I'll ask that, as of the end of the day today, anyone with a commit that they want cherry-picked
into 4.1 (or a patch, if conflicts are expected) please send an email to the list with the
following tags:

[ACS41][Patch Request] - Followed by a reasonable description (or the bug ID).

I'll be watching the list and applying them as soon as I can.

However - I'd suggest a couple of things:

First, you need to *test* the fix.  I'd actually ask that we take this a bit further than
unit testing the fix.  If there's a bug reporter, give them the patch and have them build
from 4.1 with the patch applied...
before asking to move it into the branch officially.  This does effect the process that the
Citrix QA team is used to following, but I think it's the best option for us as a community.

Second, I need help ensuring that the commit to cherry-pick applies cleanly to the 4.1 branch.
 If you do the first thing, this should be easy...  but I'll highlight this anyway.  If it's
going to have conflicts, then you should be providing a patch that already deals with the
conflicts.  Patches like this should be in the email itself, or in reviewboard.

So this is what I'd *like* to see - starting tomorrow.

Objections?  Comments?  Concerns?

-chip