From Parth Jagirdar <Parth.Jagir...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS]- Dynamic Rendering of tooltip Content from the documentation
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2013 18:14:11 GMT
This is nice.

Whatever the approach we agree upon, I will contribute towards this feature.

Thanks,
.. Parth

-----Original Message-----
From: rohityadav89@gmail.com [mailto:rohityadav89@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Rohit Yadav
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2013 11:56 AM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Cc: Parth Jagirdar; Brian Federle; Jessica Tomechak; David Nalley (david@gnsa.us)
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS]- Dynamic Rendering of tooltip Content from the documentation

Oh I just saw tooltip and javascript, and I dislike that js implementations for tooltips consume
a lot of resources; so let me promote my friend's tooltip framework that is pure css :) https://github.com/chinchang/hint.css

Regards.

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 11:51 PM, Pranav Saxena <pranav.saxena@citrix.com> wrote:
> Yes exactly . These set of changes are from the documentation point of view .  These
Id's and xref tags would be picked up by a py script to convert the content into a json response
which can further be rendered by javascript.

> Thanks for looking into this.
>
> Thanks,
> Pranav

documentation xml files to be displayed in the tooltip dynamically . The idea is to associate
a " xref tag" with every major entity /form field /feature in the documentation notes , which
could be parsed by a python script using  the xpath module  and generate a json-formatted
javascript file .

> Currently all the content displayed in the tooltips is hardcoded in a javascript file
which gets rendered based on a doc ID.  With the introduction of "xref tags" in the documentation
notes,  this javascript file would be generated during the build time and stored in the UI
folder from where the content would be rendered dynamically based on the above mentioned approach
 .

> If the community is satisfied with the proposal , then I would take it forward , working
in collaboration with few other folks as well to implement this . May be , I could put up
a detailed FS for this .  This is just a novice level discussion and I believe , we would
still need to refine the approach based on the community comments/reviews.

> Thoughts /Flames ?
>
> Regards,
> Pranav

to technical limitations. In the future we'll work to get this data dynamically, so it is
easier to fix typos, etc., without having to commit directly to the source.

>> If you need to modify any of the documentation data, please update the file /ui/scripts/docs.js.
This contains key/value pairs with the key indicating which field in the UI that particular
string is for.

>> Functional spec is @
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/ui-dynamic-tooltip.html
>>
>> Committed to master branch only right now.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brian
>

> Hi Brian,
>
> I think I missed this message originally, and Jessica drew my attention to it.
>
> It's been 4 months since this message was sent. Has there been any progress on making
the strings come from actual docs per the original func spec?
> How does the current implementation deal with l10n?
>
> My concern is that 'temporary' becomes permanent in a lot of cases, and the key-value
pair system with what appears to be no capability for l10n is troubling.