From Parth Jagirdar <Parth.Jagir...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] UI user prompt redesign
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2013 02:22:42 GMT
This screen is more appropriate with case below.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12572013/global%20var.jpg

Thanks,
.. Parth

-----Original Message-----
From: Parth Jagirdar [mailto:Parth.Jagirdar@citrix.com]
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2013 4:55 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: [DISCUSS] UI user prompt redesign

Currently in UI if an,
Action X has an associated message Y. For example say X is changing a global variable and
Y can be message that prompts user to restart the Management Server.

If user changes 3 global variables he will be presented with 3 message boxes; all displaying
same message !

See the reason for proposal here...   https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12572005/msg%20box.jpg

Proposal ::

Approach (The most commonly found in UI based tools - But - Different than what we have in
place now) is to have only one "Save" button for group of actions that produce same message.

Now 2 common Scenarios::

Upon clicking "Save" button :: User changes gets realized and relevant message box is presented.
Due to fact that each web page has similar actions and thus have similar messages this makes
life very easy. (Multiple global variables changed and only one box presented requesting to
restart MS)

Upon navigating away from page without clicking Save :: Present a warning and if accepted,
discard changes and continue with requested navigation; else ignore navigation request and
present user the same page and wait for user to click "Save" button or to perform another
action.
(Repeat till either Save is clicked or user accepts warning)

Current implementation:: We can see that small green "correct/right" ticker (Screen: ticker)
next to global variable input box as the Save button. Clicking which our changes gets realized
message pops up.

But the problem with our current approach is of association.

We have associated each message with each action. If we associate set of actions that produce
the same message; say the whole table that contains Global Variables and associate only one
Save (And in turn which results into associating only one message) with it then we can achieve
what I am trying to propose here.

I believe this is most common approach in UI based tools.

Suggestions / Inputs?

Track it here :: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-1506

Thank You,

Parth Jagirdar