From Hari Kannan <hari.kan...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: question on Distributed Virtual Switch support
Date Sat, 09 Mar 2013 01:22:46 GMT
Hi Ilya,

Thanks for the feedback - so, did I understand it right that your point of view is that mgmt.
network on DVS is not a super-critical need?

Hari

-----Original Message-----
From: Musayev, Ilya [mailto:imusayev@webmd.net]
Sent: Friday, March 8, 2013 5:01 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Cc: Sateesh Chodapuneedi; Koushik Das; Anantha Kasetty
Subject: RE: question on Distributed Virtual Switch support

Hari

I gave a second thought to your request about having a support for management network and
DVS.

Here are the use cases,

Be default the hypervisors are deployed with local vswitch0 and management network portgroup.

In most cases, if you have more than 2 NICs, assume it's 6-8, then breakdown for network is
usually something like,

2 NICs (bonded) for vSwitch0
2 NICs (bonded) for vmotion
2 -4 NICs (bonded) for Guest VMs - usually this is where you insert DVS.
2 NICs (bonded) for storage - either local or DVS switch - if no SAN.

If your hypervisor only has 2 NICs, technically this is bad design, but even so, you have
to bind the 2 interfaces and use DVS for everything, from managememt to vmotion to guest vm
communication. This is usually LAB environemnts (at least in my case).

While this is an important feature request - it will help smaller subset of customers who
only use 2 NICs for everything. Probably forward looking, VmWare may decide  to DVS everything
at some point and we need this ability anyway.

Regards
Ilya

+1 .. MGMT is also part of DVS in our and other ENVs.