From KAWAI Hiroaki <ka...@stratosphere.co.jp>
Subject Re: 5.1 Vmware SDK requires JDK 6
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2013 05:54:18 GMT
Hi, I wrote a patch for this problem, too.
Please see https://reviews.apache.org/r/9768/

(2013/03/06 10:28), Min Chen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> With recent Vmware SDK upgrade in master branch, Chiradeep reported an issue with JDK7
that I overlooked during my local testing since my setup has JDK 6. We failed to compile vmware-base
using JDK 7 due to using com.sun.xml.internal.ws.transport.http.client.CookieJar to retrieve
Cookie set by WS calls. This CookieJar class is present in JDK 6 classes.jar, but seems missing
from JDK7, causing this compilation error. This actually raised a JDK limitation issue of
using new Vmware SDK jar. The SDK jar we downloaded from Vmware site is generated by the Java
API for XML Web Services (JAX-WS) libraries in J2SE 6.0, and will only work with these versions
of Java and JAX-WS library. This implies that we can only use JDK6 to work with the pre-built
Vmware SDK jar, as reflected by the build issue using JDK7 experienced by Chiradeep. To use
a different JDK (and then a different version of JAX-WS library), based on vmware documentation,
we need to rebuild the jar. See http://pubs.vmware.com/
vsphere-51/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.wssdk.dsg.doc%2Fsdk_sg_introduction.3.5.html for
details. If we want to support JDK 7, we may have to build our own vim25.jar and find a common
code path (working for both JDK6 and JDK7)  to retrieve Cookie from WS call. I talked to Kelven
about this issue, and we haven't found a better solution yet.  One option may be building
our own vmware stub library, but this may not be ready for 4.2.0 release.  So for now, to
use Vmware SDK 5.1 (i.e. nonoss build from master branch), we can only support JDK 6 until
we come up with a better solution.