From Julien Garet <julien.ga...@inria.fr>
Subject Understanding how instance creation works with vSphere
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2013 23:01:13 GMT
Hi,

I am currently trying to see if we can make OSX guests work with CloudStack. We are now able
to create instances that are recognized as OSX VMs in CS. We also have working template VMs,
exported as ova and then imported back in CloudStack. But the instances do not boot. So I
am trying to manually reproduce the steps CloudStack is doing when creating an instance in
vSphere, to find where it fails. What I have understood so far is :
- CloudStack checks if a template VM from the ova exists on the primary storage where the
instance will be created
- If not :
- deploy the ova as VM to the primary storage
- make a snapshot of this VM
- convert the VM as template
- register the template in table template_spool_ref
- when template is on Primary Storage :
- create a linked clone of the template
- remove the VM from inventory
- create a new VM, with the requested hardware (CPU+RAM)
- attach the linked clone disk to the new VM

Do I miss some steps ?
I also think that the template VM always has the same name, how is that ID chosen ?

I have tried to reproduce the steps for having the template VM available on primary storage,
but when I try to create an instance after, there is an error issued : " Unable to find base
snapshot template, invalid template".

Shouldn't that work ?

----
Julien Garet