From Joe Brockmeier <...@zonker.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Support lifetime
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2013 16:59:49 GMT
On Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 09:03 AM, David Nalley wrote:
> So software typically has several stages:
>
> Does end of support mean both of these things simultaneously.
> No more bugfixes
> No more security fixes
>
> So wearing your enterprise software consumer hat - does a support
> lifetime of approximately 12 months make sense? (not saying it
> doesn't, just asking the question) Under the above proposal we'd end
> support for the 4.0 line after 4.2 releases. (I'd personally say we
> should add a month (so that EOL is one month after 4.n+2 releases,
> with the understanding that 4.n is likely to only receive security
> fixes if any during that extra one month window)

Does it matter if we're ending support for 4.0.x if the users can
reliably upgrade to 4.2.x and we're sticking to a no API breakage
policy?

Note that a policy saying that we will support (say) 4.2 and 5.0
wouldn't preclude also pushing out a security fix for 4.1 and 4.0 if it
was not overly difficult to backport the security fix.

The biggest concerns I have are: 1) finding people to address bugs in
older releases and 2) testing the releases - so I'd like to be
conservative in what we promise, but there's no reason we can't
over-deliver if we see a security issue that needs to be addressed.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier