From John Burwell <jburw...@basho.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Supported Java version
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2013 17:26:30 GMT
All,

One clarification, I am speaking for 4.2, not 4.1.

Thanks,
-John

On Feb 25, 2013, at 11:04 AM, John Burwell <jburwell@basho.com> wrote:

> Noa,
>
> I think of one very good reason -- as of this month, Java6 has been EOL'ed [1] by Oracle
(i.e. no more updates).  Given the number of security issues that have cropped in Java lately,
it seems prudent, in my mind, to ensure that the next release runs on an officially supported
JRE.  Also, OpenJDK 7 is widely available for modern distributions (see openjdk-7 packages
in Ubuntu 12.04 and java-1.7.0-openjdk in RHEL/CentOS 6.3).